Changes in work training application process may affect 2,100 international students

Bill Kopatich

Changes in the way documents are processed could cause delays for Iowa State international students who are planning to apply for work training after graduation.

The changes affect the 2,157 Iowa State students who are F-1 visa holders.

According to a press release, F-1 students are no longer able to obtain an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) for Optional Practical Training through same day walk-in service in Omaha. Instead, individuals are now required to apply for their EAD through the mail at the Immigration and Naturalization Service Center in Lincoln, Neb.

F-1 visa holders who think they may be eligible for an EAD are strongly urged to apply within 90 days of graduation. “Because this is a new procedure, no one is sure how long it will take for the EAD response to be returned to the student,” said Brenda Thorbs-Weber, assistant director of International Students and Scholars. “Once they receive the response, it still might be required that the person has to appear in Omaha.”

Armin Mikler, a computer science Ph.D. candidate from Germany, is eligible for EAD. Mikler said the new procedure cuts down on spontaneity and is more expensive. “If someone is planning on applying for an EAD, they definitely need to plan ahead.”

Mikler, who graduates in August, applied for his EAD two weeks ago. He is still waiting for a response. He strongly urged any student who is graduating in the summer or fall and may be eligible for an EAD to speak with their adviser at the Office of International Students and Scholars as soon as possible.

Suresh Tottempudi, a computer engineering major from India, is in favor of same-day authorization. “Everything is done in one day, so there is less anxiety,” Tottempudi said. “I was told it could take up to three months to expect a reply. That is too long.”

Thorbs-Weber said the new procedure is a time-saving as well as a cost-productive move. “Some of the local Immigration and Naturalization offices around the country experienced long waiting lines for the EAD authorization. This was not a problem so much at Omaha as it was at other parts of the country.”