Jischke gets raise, ISU will offer new degree

Bill Kopatich

Iowa State officials have moved ahead with plans to create a master’s degree program in systems engineering. The move was proposed at the Iowa State Board of Regents meeting held in the Scheman Building yesterday.

“The program will meet the needs of off campus students who desire flexibility in scheduling and curriculum,” Jerry Rounds, director of Iowa State extension to business and industry, said in a news release. “It is also designed to meet the needs of industry for a broad-based, interdisciplinary masters program for practicing engineers.”

Iowa State will be the first school in the state to have a master’s degree program in systems engineering.

“The program will allow students to further develop the analytical abilities needed to design, evaluate and build complex systems, which involve many components and demanding specifications,” a university official said in the release. “The program also will give students the opportunity to work across disciplinary boundaries and develop management skills.”

The program will first be offered in the fall semester and will involve many engineering departments as well as other ISU colleges.

In other business, the regents agreed to leave $73 million in the Common Fund. The fund had been the focus of a controversy when a trader took unauthorized risks.

The regents also approved an $8,000 raise for ISU President Martin Jischke. Next year, Jischke will make $190,000.

The Board of Regents also recognized six Iowa State faculty members with the Regents Award for Faculty Excellence.

The award honorees were:

*Gary Downs, professor of curriculum and and instruction. Downs was cited for his writings on science safety in the classroom in addition to his various leadership positions in science teacher organizations.

*Thomas Loynachan, professor of agronomy. Loynachan drew praise for his research on natural microbes in soil.

*Robert McCarley, professor of chemistry. McCarley , who served as chair of the Iowa State Chemistry department from 1963-1977, has received international recognition for his studies involving metal cluster chemistry and solid state chemistry.

*Larry Northup, a professor in the department of engineering fundamentals and multidisciplinary design. Northup drew recognition for an engineering fundamentals textbook based on his notes.

*Janis Stone, a professor in the department of textiles and clothing. Stone was sited for her research into pesticide application and protective farm clothing.

*Kenneth Stone, professor of economics. Stone is the creator of the “pull factor” concept, which is a method of measuring the size of a town’s retail trade area.

With additional reporting by the Associated Press.