College kid

Verena C. Hayes

Photo by Barbara Kashian

While many other 11-year-olds are just beginning their summer vacations, Jayadev Siddhanta Athreya is beginning Math 265 (Elementary Multi variable Calculus) at Iowa State.

Although this is the first class he will officially be enrolled in at ISU, he unofficially took Math 165 and 166 (Calculus I and II) last year and earned an “A” in both courses. He will also sit in on a Physics 111 course, but he will not receive credit for it.

Athreya, who will be 12 on Tuesday, just graduated from Sawyer Elementary School and will be attending Ames Middle School in the fall.

Athreya said he enjoys the same activities as other children his age. He likes to play basketball, tennis, chess and also sings in a chorus. Like many young boys, he watches all sports on television, except golf. He often writes poems and short stories. One of his poems, “The Flood of ’93”, was published in the Ames Daily Tribune.

He says he reads “anything and everything” and is very much into politics. Listening to National Public Radio and reading USA Today keeps him informed on everything that is going on in the world.

Athreya’s parents, said they worry a little about him growing up too fast and do not want him to miss out on his childhood. However, they “don’t think that being intellectually challenged means growing up too fast—the two are not mutually exclusive.”

His parents feel that “learning itself is fun, but there are other types of fun things that he can do as well and he should have the opportunity to do both.”

Athreya’s love for math and science runs in the family. His father holds a Ph.D. in mathematics and his mother has a Ph.D. in physics. His grandfather was a professor of chemistry.

Mrs. Athreya said she believes that “a lot of children can be challenged at a much higher level and often lose their enthusiasm for learning if their environment is not supportive of it. If they don’t have enough challenges, they get bored or start losing interest.”

Jayadev and his parents do not like it when people use words such as “genius” or “whiz kid.” They feel that his “other friends would probably be able to handle it too. It’s just that he has had more opportunities.”

James Ellis, Jayadev’s Math 166 professor, said that much of the boy’s success can be attributed to good study skills.

“A lot of people think this kid is a genius, but he’s not a genius. He’s just a hard worker. For example, he did all of the homework and therefore got the higher grades,” he said.

Ellis also quoted Thomas Edison’s maxim, “inspiration is 99 percent perspiration.” He said he believes “some are just born with a tolerance for tediance. It is always rewarding to have a student like Jayadev.”

Jayadev’s classes began last week. His classmates say they think nothing of having an 11-year-old in class with them.

“He seems to be very comfortable with the other students and doesn’t seem intimidated,” said Janelle Raine, a senior in mathematics.

Math 265 students Lee Hill, Rod Sampson and Matt Verheaghe all said that if Athreya can handle the work and enjoys it, “more power to him.”

One year from now, Athreya said he hopes to be “a full-fledged student” at ISU, majoring in mathematics. In 10 years, he hopes to be a math professor, and in 30 years, President.