Letters to the Editor

To The Editor:

Let me begin by saying that I appreciated the fact that you covered the recent thefts in Gilbert (“Gilbert Break-ins: Related?, Jun. 15). There are a number of people who have lived in Ames or the Ames area for a number of years who are not even aware that a community of 800 sits about four miles north of Ames.

We learned this especially well when our high school boys’ basketball team won their class’s second place title earlier this year. The

fact that it was the first time Gilbert High School’s team had made it to the finals in over 60 years got somewhat buried as sports writers went out of their way to explain to people where in the world Gilbert, Iowa was.

However, while I thank you for the coverage, I take exception to the word your writer chose as a descripter for our community. Twice in the story it was referred to as the “village” of Gilbert. Even though I have a degree in journalism, teach journalism and read state and national newspapers constantly, I cannot recall ever reading the word “village” used to describe a small town in Iowa. Rather, small Iowa towns are generally referred to as: small towns.

To some, this may be nit-picky or a case of splitting hairs, but for those who call Gilbert home it is a matter of community pride. I asked some acquaintances on campus what came to their minds when a community was described as a village. Their response was similar to my own: an image of thatched roof huts, dirt streets and a community well in the center of the market area. This image was in direct contrast to what Gilbert actually is.

While it is true that the population is a small 800 (dwarfed by Ames’ 50,000), I would readily hold Gilbert side-by-side to any of Iowa’s largest cities. There is no doubt in my mind that Gilbert would far excel any challengers in the areas of community support and involvement, active commitment to educational improvements and a long-range vision that is more than just a pipe dream.

In short, Gilbert may not have a population of thousands or large business and industry, but we do have the single greatest quality any community could have — a sense of civic pride.

My gut feeling is that the author is not an Iowa native and simply made a mistake. I cannot imagine someone growing up in Iowa using the word “village” as this author has. So, for the same of Gilbert and all other small towns that you may report on over your time at ISU and beyond, please consider at least using the term “community.” Otherwise, we may start regarding the Daily as Iowa State’s student-run “newsletter.”

Paul Smith

graduate student in curriculum and instructional technology