Atanasoff dies

by CATHY GRAUSE

Daily Staff Writer

John Vincent Atanasoff, the former Iowa State professor who invented the electronic computer, died Thursday in Frederick, Md., after suffering a stroke.

Atanasoff was 91 years old. A memorial service for him was held yesterday in Maryland.

Atanasoff is remembered for inventing the Atanasoff-Berry Computer, but it took him more than half his lifetime to gain recognition for his accomplishment.

From 1937 to 1942, Atanasoff and graduate assistant Clifford Berry worked to create a computer system to solve large systems of linear equations in a less tedious way.

“He developed the computer as a tool to help his graduate students at Iowa State. That’s why our new campus-wide computing network is named ‘Project Vincent’ in his honor,” President Martin Jischke said in a press release.

The impact Atanasoff’s electronic computer had on the advancement of technology is evident, said John Gustafson, a computational scientist at Ames Laboratory.

The basic principles of Atanasoff’s digital computing “opened the door for the emergence of the Information Age,” said Arthur Oldehoeft, a computer science professor at ISU.

Yet, back in the 1930’s, few people understood the significance of his invention.

“Atanasoff was about 50 years ahead of his time,” said Gustafson, “IBM told him there was no future in electronic computing.”

In the late 70’s, people rediscovered Atanasoff’s inventions and began to realize the importance of his work.

“The discarded technology could have been translated into billions of dollars for Iowa,” said Gustafson. “He was all by himself in understanding that this would change the world.”

In 1990, the singular role Atanasoff’s digital computer played in the advancement of technology was recognized by President Bush. Atanasoff was given the National Medal of Technology.

Even though Atanasoff did not receive much support or acknowledgement for his work, he never gave up. After working on the Iowa State faculty for 15 years, he continued his research in various fields, while continuing to receive patents. He continued his work with computers long after his retirement in 1961.

A design team at Iowa State is currently constructing an Atanasoff-Berry replica. The full-size working model will be available for display in August of 1996, according to Dr. Delwyn Bluhm, director of the project.

Berry preceded Atanasoff in death.

Memorials to Atanasoff should be sent to the Atanasoff Graduate Scholarship Fund, Atanasoff Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1040