Letter to the editor: Greenlee is here to help

Nate Camm / Iowa State Daily

Alec Norem (Left), a senior in Advertising, talks to a student about the Greenlee School Journalism and Communication. His colleague Claire Norton, a senior in Public Relations, cites a unique culture and a friendly environment as great reasons to join their college.

Angela Powers

If your palms become clammy or your heart races when you think about finding and completing an internship, we at the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication want you to know you’re not alone – and we’re here to help.

Our Jump-Start Internship and Networking Fair will be held from noon to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 17, in the Memorial Union, and you’re invited.

With almost 40 employers in attendance, this approachable, boutique-style fair is open to all students, especially those seeking communications-related jobs in advertising, news, radio, television, digital media, public relations, corporate communication and more. These employers are looking specifically for interns who are skilled in these fields.

As an accredited program, the Greenlee School has one of the most successful internship programs in the nation in journalism and mass communication. Because internships are required of all our advertising, journalism and public relations majors, we go the extra mile and make sure students benefit from the experience.

Academic adviser Juli Probasco-Sowers coordinates the internship program at the Greenlee School and helps students identify relevant internship experiences while faculty members oversee the students once in progress, along with the employer.

According to Probasco-Sowers, “Finding the right internship can be time-consuming, anxiety-filled and decision-dense.” But it pays off.

As of the 2016-17 academic year, Greenlee majors have a 93 percent placement rate. One reason employers hire our students is because they have real-world experience.

We know that unpaid and under-paid internships put a burden on students and their families. To address the financial stress, we offer internship scholarships for Greenlee students. Last year we awarded $32,000 in internship scholarships to 17 students to help offset the costs of living away from campus for a summer, paying rent and more. Just this fall, LAS Career Services also rolled out a scholarship program for LAS students with unpaid internships.

Greenlee also partners with LAS Career Services on workshops, and we routinely refer students for more assistance in finding internships, developing interview skills, writing resumes and more. Check out our other resources to help you in your search year-round.

If you find yourself struggling to land an internship or you’re unsure about the process, come talk to us. Our industries are changing rapidly, but the need for effective, skilled and ethical communicators is greater than ever – and completing an internship as part of your degree will help you fill those roles.