Early and absentee voting starting as election nears

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

A sign is posted outside of Collegiate United Methodist Church on Lincoln Way to let members of the Ames community know that it is a voting location.

Nate Cirian

Absentee voting and early voting began Monday, drawing near the first major date in the election process until the midterm election on Nov. 6.

As election day is just under a month away, organizations, campaigns and even brands are urging people to register and get out the vote.

On campus, Student Government is working to help students successfully vote on election day. They are hosting an early voting event with same day registration on Oct. 22 to 26 in the Pride Veteran’s Lounge in the Memorial Union.

Student Government Civil Engagement Chair Caroline Warmuth stressed the importance of not only getting people registered to vote but to actually get them to the polls.

“We can get people to register all we want but getting them to the polls is just as important,” Warmuth said.

She said out-of-state students intending to vote in their home state’s elections should be informed about their own processes.

“What’s really important is that they need to know their own state’s rules and dates,” Warmuth said.

Student Government only has ballots for the state of Iowa, so to obtain ballots from your home state you will have to follow that state’s own absentee laws. Warmuth also recommended vote411.org as a “good and neutral” tool for voter information.

The website gives personalized voting information based on your address.

Iowa Secretary of State, Paul Pate, also urged Iowans to be ready to vote in a media release Friday.

“Iowa has no-excuse absentee voting, which means every eligible Iowan can vote by mail, in-person at your county auditor’s office, at a satellite voting location, or at the polls on Election Day,” Pate said in the press release.

He also recommended early voting and told voters “part of being voter ready means having a plan on how and when you’re going to cast your ballot.”

Absentee voter forms must be at your local county auditor’s office by 5 p.m. Nov. 5.

Other voting tips include making sure you are registered to vote at your current address. If you plan to vote in elections outside of Iowa, make sure you abide by the dates and rules of your home state.

Sidebar Content:

Other major dates include Oct. 27 when the deadline to pre-register hits as well as the last day to request an absentee ballot. Registration on this date can still occur on election day in person.

Nov. 5 is the last day to vote with an absentee ballot in person at your local county auditor’s office. The Story County Auditor’s office is located in the City of Nevada.

Nov. 6 is Election Day where polls will open at 7 a.m. and close at 9 p.m.