Letter to the editor: Utilize the resources available to you

By Sarah Hays, [email protected]

Corn stalk is the main contributor to compost. Used for hay bales, corn stalk is recycled to feed livestock. 

Amanda Crow

Hi Peyton Spanbauer, I’m one of those agriculture majors you mentioned a week ago. While I want to be empathetic toward your experience here. I keep shaking my head in disbelief.

I love my major, my department, my college and my university. I was terrified to attend Iowa State University four years ago because I was worried I would turn into a number, maybe similar to what you’re feeling? I can say with confidence though, I am not a number here. Every connection I’ve made over the last four years has been valuable to me. 

I’m not saying that you “did college wrong” or even that you chose the wrong majors. I can tell through your words though that I’m leaving Iowa State more confident in my experiences than you are. This isn’t because the university is giving me more opportunities because I’m an agriculture major. I took chances meeting new people, traveled new places and took full advantage of the opportunities that come with being a cyclone.

In your defense, I will agree CALS Career Services kicks butt to prepare CALS students. Workshops for fine-tuning resumes, writing cover letters and creating portfolios. An etiquette dinner was hosted free of charge for 60 students. AND I mean 275+ companies came to Ames on Oct. 9 to meet students — of course I’m going to attend and soak up these opportunities! BUT there is not a single reason you couldn’t too.

Anyone can bring a unique perspective to any one of the companies at the career fair. I know CALS students that go to the engineering fair to connect with companies because some businesses need employees that specialize in marketing just as much as they need engineers. The entire list of companies was available online. If one peaked your interest, why didn’t you come?

As a liberal arts and sciences student, you may think you’re “stuck” with your career fair but last time I checked, there wasn’t a sign at the CALS career fair that said you couldn’t come in. Sharpen that resume, bring questions and start introducing yourself!

The main area of professional credits in my agricultural communications program are focused on journalism. I don’t believe for one second that you can’t find an internship with your majors. I am able to enter the workforce because I took the initiative to make my major my own. I studied horticulture and agronomy only to take an internship with the livestock side of agriculture for a national commodity group. How are you best using your major to sell yourself and your skillset?

I’ll be honest, I do have a lot of support here on campus. There’s no way I would be who I am without the connections I made right here in Ames. My adviser suggests courses to push me each semester. I have former employers here to give advice and I regularly meet with our career services staff. Can’t you see though that this is because of my own efforts? I took the initiative to build these relationships because I wanted the most out of my college experience.

Don’t tell me the university isn’t doing enough for you. The leverage you have that comes with being an Iowa State Cyclone is astounding, are you using it?