Defying all odds: Paveletzke’s journey from unwanted to impact player

Jackson Paveletzke nearly converts an acrobatic two against Iowa at Hilton Coliseum on Dec. 7, 2023.
Tyler Coe
Jackson Paveletzke, pregame of the Iowa State vs. Eastern Illinois University mens basketball game, Hilton Coliseum, Dec. 21, 2023.

AMES — The 6-foot-2, 185-pound frame may not scream power five guard, but the work that Jackson Paveletzke has put in from his childhood to his collegiate career, all while being overlooked, has built a chip on his shoulder the whole world can see.

Coming out of Kimberly High School, Paveletzke had an impressive resume like other sought-after recruits. However, he was not given nearly as much attention as others due to his size.

Paveletzke trusted all the hard work he had put in growing up and, with his hall-of-fame head coach, took a chance on himself at a mid-major school. The chip on his shoulder motivated him, as he wasn’t done chasing his dreams.

The sophomore guard instantly showed why he went from a zero-star prospect out of high school to a four-star transfer prospect when he touched the floor at Hilton. The fight and energy from his prep career prepared him for the adversity he would face at the next level, and he would continue to dismantle the mold others set for him.

Jackson Paveletzke, pregame of the Iowa State vs. Eastern Illinois University men’s basketball game, Hilton Coliseum, Dec. 21, 2023. (Jacob Rice)
Jackson Paveletzke, Iowa State Forward, fakes out K-State player and makes a layup on Jan. 24, 2024 in Hilton Coliseum.
Outworking others early on

Paveletzke hails from the basketball pipeline of Wisconsin, a state constantly producing talented players at the collegiate and professional levels. Growing up, all he knew was basketball.

His dad, John, who played collegiate basketball at a Division III school in Wisconsin, coached Paveletzke when he was young and instilled the mindset of wanting his son to be better than he ever was.

“He’s had a really big impact on my life, keeping me level-headed and giving me tips,” Paveletzke said. “Always encouraging me when I need it and he gets on me when I need that too.”

Outside of his father, Paveletzke was blessed to be coached by Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association hall of famer Lucky Wurtz from the time he was in kindergarten to his junior year of high school.

Wurtz saw at a young age the work ethic and talent that Paveletzke had, based on his ability to outwork and out-compete any other kid. No matter the size of the camp, Paveletzke was determined to set himself apart from the other kids.

During summer camps, which often were 90-minute workouts four times a week for five weeks, Paveletzke never missed a practice. The coaching staff gave out Gatorade to the kids who won one-on-ones and other drills; this is when it became clear to Wurtz that this kid was a winner.

“He would come out of there with eight to 10 Gatorades,” Wurtz said. “He’d be carrying them, and he would be giving a couple to kids that were hanging out. But he couldn’t even carry them out. He competed and won everything.”

Jackson Paveletzke, Iowa State Forward, fakes out K-State player and makes a layup on Jan. 24, 2024 in Hilton Coliseum. (Sam Petri)
Jackson Paveletzke drives to the hoop against New Hampshire at Hilton Coliseum on Dec. 31, 2023.
A change of pace

While Paveletzke grew up dominating camps and developing through the Elite Youth Basketball League and AAU circuit, high school ball changed everything.

“At the beginning, I was going up and getting pinned,” Paveletzke said.

Even in high school, Paveletzke was undersized, and despite all the work he had put in growing up, it looked like it was all for nothing. He didn’t make the varsity team for Kimberly his freshman year, which put a chip on his shoulder.

Wurtz’s plan wasn’t to upset Paveletzke by assigning him to JV, as he generally didn’t let freshmen play varsity. He emphasized helping develop his game and teaching him that his skills on the court would overshadow his small frame.

“I told him skills will trump,” Wurtz said. “I told him to develop what he can develop, and that’s what he did.”

Paveletzke worked on becoming an efficient scorer from every level, using his skill to work his way around defenders and protect the ball. Wurtz described him as intentional, and whether on the court, in the weight room or with the trainers, Paveletzke was always focused.

The combination of Paveletzke’s work ethic and the chip he had on his shoulder earned him a spot on the varsity squad his sophomore season. From there, he would go on to be one of the best players in program history at Kimberly.

Despite finally reaching the varsity level, Paveletzke never stopped working on his game. He would often grab his teammates after practice and games for extra shots with that chip on his shoulder and killer mentality constantly growing.

“I can rightfully say he was the best kid I ever had,” Wurtz said.

During his junior year, he led Kimberly to the WIAA Division 1 State Championship where they fell to Wauwatosa East. This was the last game Wurtz coached for Kimberly, as he retired after 35 years of coaching.

Retiring before Paveletzke’s senior season is something Wurtz’s daughter constantly reminds him of and is a decision he will regret given how talented the Papermakers were when he left.

“He was sensational,” Wurtz said. “He was big time, and that is why [Wurtz’s daughter] thought it was dumb. I mean how can you coach that long and give up before his senior year?”

Paveletzke was left in good hands with Jon Murphy, another WBCA Hall of Famer with over 30 years of coaching under his belt.

Statistically, Paveletzke had his best season under Murphy, averaging 30 points per game. He set both the all-time scoring record (1,674) and the single-game scoring record (50) in his final season with the Papermakers, leading them to another state tournament appearance.

Jackson Paveletzke drives to the hoop against New Hampshire at Hilton Coliseum on Dec. 31, 2023. (Tyler Coe)
Jackson Paveletzke finds the hoop against Lindenwood at Hilton Coliseum on Nov. 9, 2023.
Undervalued as a recruit

Despite the multiple records and trips to the state tournament, Paveletzke’s prep career was not enough to outweigh the size concerns he had coming out of Kimberly.

According to 247 Sports, Paveletzke was a zero-star recruit following his senior season and only had a few options to survey for the next level.

“I felt a little disrespected,” Paveletzke said. “I worked really hard and I see that I’m an undersized guard, but that made me go even harder and want it even more.”

It was between two options for Paveletzke: Wofford or Saint Thomas. After learning how Wofford had developed other Wisconsin guards and made five NCAA tournament appearances in the last 12 years, he saw that it was the best fit for him.

Although it wasn’t at a high-major school, Paveletzke’s skills were at the forefront during his freshman season. He started to feel things coming together in a matchup with Texas A&M where he scored 22 points and displayed his ability to run the court at a high level.

“I really always thought I could do this, but that’s when I put everybody on notice,” Paveletzke said. “It was really just me being me.”

He finished the season starting all 33 games for the Terriers, averaging 15.1 points per game on 49.3% shooting from the field. He led all freshmen in the Southern Conference in scoring while also finishing with the third most assists in the conference.

These numbers made Paveletzke a shoo-in for Southern Conference freshman of the year and also earned him a spot on the All-Southern Conference third team. He felt all the hard work pay off when his assistant coach pulled him aside in practice to tell him about earning freshman of the year, as that was a goal he had set for himself before the season.

Even with one of the most talented players in the conference, Wofford failed to stand out as a team. Head coach Jay McAuley stepped down in December 2022 following a 5-4 start to the season.

Although Paveletzke envisioned spending his career at a school that believed in him when others ignored him, he felt it was best for him to search for other options.

Jackson Paveletzke finds the hoop against Lindenwood at Hilton Coliseum on Nov. 9, 2023. (Tyler Coe)
Becoming an energy guy for Iowa State
Jackson Paveletzke nearly converts an acrobatic two against Iowa at Hilton Coliseum on Dec. 7, 2023. (Tyler Coe)

After multiple meetings with head coach T.J. Otzelberger and assistant coach JR Blount, and of course a phone call with his father and coach Hurtz, Paveletzke decided to transfer to Iowa State.

Not only had he seen the success that other transfer guards had achieved at Iowa State, but the ideologies and culture that Otzelberger had, along with the recent NCAA tournament appearances, also piqued his interest.

“They were really persistent about getting me, showing me why I fit here and showing me love,” Paveletzke said. “I wanted to come into a winning program, make the NCAA Tournament and try and live out my dream.”

But coming to Iowa State meant carving out a new role and new teammates he needed to gain trust from.

Paveletzke was immediately challenged by returning sophomore point guard Tamin Lipsey on the first day of practice and showed why Otzelberger and his staff wanted him to be a Cyclone.

“We know Tamin is going to give you all he can give you at any given time,” Iowa State forward Robert Jones said. “Obviously [Lipsey] being another point guard, they were going at each other every day, and never once did he shy away from anything Tamin brought him.”

Jones trusted that Otzelberger was bringing Paveletzke in for a reason, but seeing that fight from him reassured Jones that he would add value to the team.

“The way he gets into the paint and plays for his teammates is outstanding,” Jones said. “Especially at his size, the way he can get down in the paint and still see everybody is impressive.”

During his first season as a Cyclone, Paveletzke adopted an energy role much like Jones when he first came to Iowa State. This was new for him. He had always been the primary scorer, whether it was at Kimberly or Wofford.

But being at Iowa State brought out that energy side of him that he showed at Kimberly, and Paveletzke began to embrace it heading into the 2023 season. He sees the impact it has on not only himself coming off the bench but also his teammates who need a spark.

“I always just try and go out there, spark the team and bring my best energy,” Paveletzke said. “Not only does it help me get myself going, but it kind of gets the guys around me going. I’m just trying to be the same guy every day.”