Brock Purdy returns to Ames for youth football camp

Brett Twelmeyer
Former Iowa State quarterback Brock Purdy speaks to campers at his youth football camp on a practice field next to Jack Trice Stadium on June 22, 2024.

AMES – Former Iowa State quarterback Brock Purdy returned to Ames for his youth football camp Saturday and was the second of two camps Purdy put on with help from RECOVER 180 sports drink.

The first camp was held in San Francisco, where Purdy plays with the NFL’s San Francisco 49ers. His return to Ames was highly anticipated by many Iowa State fans, and 650 kids participated in the camp.

Cyclone fans flocked to Jack Trice Stadium to see Purdy and take part in the festivities. Purdy jerseys and 49ers shirts could be seen everywhere, worn by both kids and adults.

“It’s surreal,” Purdy said. “To come back and not only see Iowa State jerseys, but now the NFL jerseys, it just shows they followed me and they still have my back.”

People lined up early Saturday morning, eager to get into the camp. The line stretched well outside the walls of Jack Trice Stadium and into the parking lots.

With this being the first year of the camp, Purdy hoped that it would continue into the future. An annual return to Ames may be on the horizon for the former Cyclone.

“If we get the opportunity to do this, it’d be sweet,” Purdy said. “I’m just trying to embrace it right now and take it all in. Coming back, everyone here has got the best heart. It’s the best place in the country, man. Just thankful to be back.”

Once Purdy emerged into the crowd of campers, everyone erupted. The cheers were a celebration of seeing the young NFL star return to the place where he made a name for himself.

In his four years at Iowa State, Purdy threw for over 12,000 yards and 81 touchdowns. He holds the records for the most passing yards and touchdowns in a single season and in a career at Iowa State.

Returning to Ames was a return home for Purdy.

“It’s such a hometown feel,” Purdy said. “It’s a college town, but to see everybody again, everyone’s just thriving and everyone loves each other. They help each other out and they helped me understand who I am as a person.”

Purdy expressed his excitement for not only the camp, but for Iowa State’s upcoming football season. He said Rocco Becht, the current starting quarterback, is ready to lead the Cyclones into the future.

That’s high praise from the man who led the 49ers to a spot in last season’s Super Bowl against the Kansas City Chiefs.

With excitement about the upcoming football season growing, Saturday’s youth football camp gave Purdy a chance to reflect on his time in Ames, and give back to the community that he said means so much to him.