Iowa State Music Major Auditions

The second week of February marks an important date, for most it’s Valentine’s Day, but for some it marks the beginning of auditions to become a music major here, at Iowa State University. Unlike most majors, prospective students must audition before they can declare a major in music.

“We use auditions as a way to check for dedication.” said Kevin Judge, an academic advisor for the music program. “A GPA isn’t going to tell us how good of a musician a student is.”

Dedication is one major factor that the judges want to figure out during an audition.

Months and months of practice prepares these students for their auditions held from February 15th through the 17th.

“I started practicing in November.” Brody Galvin, a sophomore in music education, said.

“Everyday, I would practice 1- 1 ½ hours. I would spend my study halls in the music room practicing.”

Students are required to showcase a wide variety of musical skill to be accepted into the music program. The ISU music program focuses on classical style music, but there are different technical skills students must have.

Each musician, whether they are skilled with an instrument or as a vocalist, auditions for spots that are left open by students who are graduating or students that are transferring..

“Professors might not have spots to accept students.” Judge said. “There are only so many spots left by students who have graduated or transferred.”

This can make auditions a pretty competitive place, but auditions are important for faculty to see the skills students posse. It’s also important for students. If accepted, they will be automatically applied, with their audition piece, for scholarships awarded to music majors.

Galvin, who auditioned on the saxophone, knew how important this audition was.

“I was nervous. You knew that if you didn’t make it you’d have to rethink your whole plan.” Galvin said, remembering his feelings before his audition last year. “If you have an off-day that could hurt your chances of getting accepted. You don’t get a do-over.”

Students only have one audition spot for the semester they are applying for. There isn’t a second chance until a new round of auditions, next semester.

After auditions are over, the waiting starts. Judges, who are the faculty of the instrument or vocalist that was auditioned, will talk and decide who they want to let in and who will be waitlisted

“It was nerve-wracking. I had already gotten accepted to the UNI music program, but here [ISU] is where I wanted to go.” Galvin said, as he remembers waiting for his acceptance letter.

Letters of acceptance are sent out by spring break and students who were put on the waitlist will find out after May 1st.