WISE ‘Taking the Road Less Traveled’ conference welcomes young women to STEM fields

Jill O'Brien

Female engineering students know how it feels to be one of the only women in their classes. There is a gap that has not yet been bridged, but Women in Science and Engineering, or WISE, are doing quite a few things to close it early.

Taking the Road Less Traveled is a career conference held by WISE. The conference is for female students in eighth through tenth grade students, and is a day of workshops and speakers related to encouraging young women to consider STEM careers. 

“Girls come to campus, they participate in different sessions throughout the day, they engage in hands-on activities and learn about STEM and hopefully become interested and excited and consider pursuing a STEM major and a STEM career,” Janice Crow, assistant director of outreach programs, said. 

The conference features a range of sessions, with engineering being at the forefront, but other sessions focus on computer science, programming, chemistry or biology. 

“I think for girls, giving them the opportunity to learn about different STEM fields they can pursue, because I do think that’s one part of it- just not knowing what’s available and not being able to see women in those fields,” Crow said. “It’s helpful for girls to have someone who really encourages them and says ‘I think you could do a good job at this.'”

In addition to the Taking the Road Less Traveled conference, WiSE has a Student Role Model outreach program, where undergraduate women go to schools and facilitate activities for female eighth through tenth grade students, and SWE University partners with the College of Engineering, allowing female students to stay on campus for a week and work on STEM-related programs with undergraduate mentors.

Outreach programs like the Taking the Road Less Travelled conference are continuing to bridge the gap, welcome young women into STEM careers and show them that they are welcome in those fields. 

“The numbers of students retained, especially in engineering are pretty good, once they come to Iowa State, but there aren’t enough girls choosing engineering when they’re applying, ” said Allie Parrott, WiSE’s Assistant Director for Undergraduate Programs. “It’s difficult to fight societal messages that are projected at young girls and at our undergraduate students every day.”