Letter: Iowa State’s interim president welcomes first-year students

Welcome to Iowa State University orientation! We are thrilled that you have chosen to begin your adventure here as a member of the Cyclone Family! 

Iowa State is a special place – a major research university with the feel of a small, close-knit community. As a land-grant institution with more than 100 majors and 800 clubs and organizations, Iowa State offers something for everyone both inside and outside the classroom. Your college experience should include a healthy combination of scholarly coursework and co-curricular activities. Be sure to explore new interests and step outside your comfort zone through opportunities in academics, athletics, the arts, leadership and research programs, and campus and community events.

This is an exciting time for you, and our faculty and staff are here to help you succeed. They are not only renowned educators, they are caring mentors and advisers who are eager to assist you in pursuing your passions and reaching your goals. Don’t ever hesitate to reach out and ask for help!

Every one of you comes to Iowa State with different backgrounds, beliefs, talents and goals. We value this diversity. The opportunity to engage people and positions that are different from you is one of the key reasons you come to college; it enables you to challenge the status quo, expand your perspective and grow. Equally important is our commitment to a campus environment where everyone feels welcome, safe and included. As Cyclones, we must strictly adhere to the Principles of Community at all times: respect, purpose, cooperation, richness of diversity, freedom from discrimination and the honest and respectful expression of ideas.

Despite our differences, from this day on there is one thing we all have in common – we are Iowa State Cyclones! Good luck on your new adventure, and I look forward to seeing you on campus this fall!

Sincerely,

Benjamin J. Allen

Interim President