Garments are in, models chosen for Fashion Show

Maddie Leopardo/Iowa State Daily

A designer checks her garments in during the ‘garment turn in’ in LeBaron Hall on March 6. 

Abby Patterson

The next step in producing the Fashion Show took place this week: assigning models.

Iowa State students of all ages and majors can become a designer for the show, but they are not able to choose their models and fit their designs to their chosen models until Fit Night on Tuesday.

“This event allows [designers] to see the model’s sizes and measurements, then selecting a model that they feel would best fit their designs,” said Sarah Waigand, senior in apparel, merchandising design and one of the design directors. “They can then try their garment on the model and make the alterations accordingly.”

To officially become a designer for The Fashion Show, an Iowa State student needed to submit their collections at Initial Garment Turn In on Monday.

“Having Initial Garment Turn In the night before allows designers to get checked in and fit their models faster and more smoothly on Fit Night,” said Jessica Helberg, sophomore in apparel, merchandising and design and one of the design directors. “There is no age limit or major, minor requirement to participate in The Fashion Show. Just as long as they are an Iowa State student or a graduate from the most previous semester, anyone is welcome.”

The Fashion Show hosted Senior Fit Night last Thursday for seniors who have taken AMD 495 and want to submit their senior collections to this year’s show.

“This is just an extra incentive to give seniors first dibs on choosing models,” said Ashlynn Boerhave, senior in apparel, merchandising and design and one of the design directors for The Fashion Show.

The Fashion Show’s design directors run Fit Night to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible. The design directors can be found working the front table to check in the designers.

“We want the public to know that this is a very exciting time for The Fashion Show because it is where we first get to see some of the garments that will be in The Fashion Show 2017,” Waigand said.