Well-known poets host reading at Ames Public Library

Mollie Schultz/Iowa State Daily

National Book Award finalist Ada Limon reads a section from her book at the Ames Public Library on March 5.  

Mollie Shultz

A nationally renowned poet and a member of the ISU faculty combined their talents to entertain students and community members while hosting a reading for their work.

Jennifer Knox, lecturer in English and well-known poet, and close friend Ada Limón, another well-known poet and a National Book Award finalist, read their work to the gathered crowd Tuesday night at the Ames Public Library.

The pieces read to the crowd were from the most recent poetry books published by the two. “Bright Dead Things,” the most recent book from Limón, was a finalist for the 2015 National Book Award and a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award. Knox read from her recent book, “Days of Shame and Failure.”

The National Book Critics Circle Award is one of the highlights of Limón’s career.

“It was one of the biggest honors of my life,” Limón said. “Even though I didn’t eventually win the actual award, it was such an honor to be nominated.”

Knox and Limón kept the crowd, which filled three-quarters of the auditorium, entertained. Limón started the night by reading a single poem, and Knox followed suit reading one of her own that she thought related to Limón’s. The entire reading followed suit, resulting in the audience being captivated and entertained. A signing of their books followed the reading.

Laura Hitt, graduate student in English, was impressed with the work presented.

“I thought they gave a really dynamic reading,” Hitt said. “The poems were beautiful and they performed them incredibly well. And they had a great rapport and charisma with each other.”

Knox and Limón met in graduate school at New York University, where they were both studying poetry. They were in the same workshop and became friendly and got closer when Limón moved to Knox’s neighborhood in Brooklyn, Knox said. Both authors have numerous works published.

Knox asked Limón, who was going to be in the area after being invited to the DMACC Celebration of Literary Arts Festival on April 4-6, if she wanted to come read on campus, and Limón instantly accepted the offer.

Knox, who has not read her work publicly since she moved to the Ames area, was eagerly looking forward to the reading and the chance to be with one of her friends.

Limón felt the same way about the reading.

“One of the best feelings in the world is to read with an old friend that you love so much,” Limón said. “She’s really one of my sounding boards for all of my poems, so it’s really fun to get to read with someone I respect and admire and love so much.”

Knox, who has previously taught at Hunter College and NYU, proposed the idea of a reading to the school, and they told her to check out the public library. Thanks to help form the Latina/o Graduate Student Association, the US Latina/o Studies group and the adult services manager at the Ames library, Mary Logsdon, the reading was organized quickly.

While many people struggle to understand poetry and the messages behind it, Knox believes she and Limón write in a way that makes poetry fun.

“I think we both write in a way that changes people’s minds about what poetry is, and whether or not it’s for them,” Knox said.

Limón echoed that sentiment.

“I hope people are inspired to write their own stories and create things that make a difference and matter,” Limón said.