Trump, Clinton win; Scott Kelly returns from space

Max Goldberg/Iowa State Daily

After securing his place in the top three in the Republican caucuses, presidential candidate Donald Trump spoke briefly to a crowd at his watch party Feb. 2 in West Des Moines. Trump said, “I love you people, I love you people, thank you very much.”

Alex Hanson

Miss the news this week? Read our recap of the biggest stories below, then test your knowledge with our news quiz here.

Trump, Clinton win big on Super Tuesday

They failed to sweep the entire map, but Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton walked away on Super Tuesday with the most wins on their respective sides of the aisle. 

Trump and Clinton each won seven states, while Ted Cruz won three, including his home state of Texas. Marco Rubio picked up his first win in Minnesota, and Bernie Sanders was able to edge out a victory in four states.

The results put Trump ahead in the total delegate count, although Cruz picked up a large amount with his win in Texas.

Ben Carson, the retired neurosurgeon-turned-presidential candidate, said Wednesday he “sees no path forward” and skipped the GOP debate Thursday night. 

Scott Kelly returns after a year in space

Astronaut Scott Kelly arrived in Houston, Texas, early Thursday after a year in space.

His two daughters and girlfriend, along with his identical twin brother, retired astronaut Mark Kelly, his sister-in-law, former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and Second Lady Jill Biden awaited his arrival.

“It’s great to be back in Texas, on U.S. soil,” Kelly said. “It’s just an unbelievable feeling to be back here on planet earth, back in our great country, and back with all my family and friends.”

The mission was to measure any changes to Kelly’s health while spending the time in space. Kelly will undergo a series of tests from NASA in the coming days.

Some business owners concerned about Farmer’s Market

The Ames City Council heard concerns about the Main Street Farmer’s Market during its meeting Tuesday night.

Swank’s Jewelry submitted a letter to the Ames city manager requesting the market be moved to another location, writing that it thought the location of the market hurt it by limiting access and traffic.

Larry Goodale, owner of The Grove Café, said he thought the market should move behind Main Street to allow for more parking and a better flow of traffic. He said he was worried about his elderly customers having to park several blocks away to walk to his business.

The council members voted unanimously to approve the resolution for this year’s Farmer’s Market on Main Street on Saturdays from May 7 to Oct. 15 but said they would continue to discuss and consider potential alternatives for next year’s market.

-The Daily’s Christie Smith contributed.

Seniors leave Hilton with one final win

Iowa State was able to fend off Oklahoma State on Monday night, defeating the Cowboys 58-50. 

Seniors were honored before the game with a presentation on court. In the first half, seniors Abdel Nader and Georges Niang scored 20 of Iowa State’s 27 points in the first half. 

The Cyclones were able to take control in the second half, taking a 13-point lead off the top and ending the night ahead.

“I think I’ve put my all in this place,” Niang said. “I’m content with closing the chapter at Hilton because I left everything I had out there.”

Student Government results to be announced Friday after voting

Election results for Student Government will be announced at 7 p.m. Friday in room 3512 of the Memorial Union.

The results come after several weeks of campaigning and voting that kicked off Tuesday.

Some students reported issues with voting this year. 

In the past, students logged onto a website, vote.iastate.edu, and voted. This year, students were supposed to receive a personalized email from Qualtrics, a survey company, and students would vote through a personalized link. Some students never received the email.

Alex Rodgers, election commissioner and senior in agricultural and life sciences education, said the problem was that when the election commission got the roster of emails from the registrar, it only contained approximately 30,000 emails, not the entire student body.

He said he believed the issue was that some students had their information private or unlisted.

Results will also be announced at stugov.iastate.edu after the official announcement.