Iowa State names new director of dining

Mohamed Ali has been named the new director of dining at ISU.

Courtesy of Iowa State University

Rakiah Bonjour

After a year without a director of dining, Iowa State has named Mohamed Ali to the position.

Ali was formerly the director of auxiliary operations at Ohio State University before coming to Iowa State. He has 24 years of experience between different food industry management positions, but he said his passion is people.

“I am a people person,” Ali said. “I love engaging with people and engaging with students.”

Some of the changes Ali plans on incorporating into the dining centers are product development training, collaborative partnerships, using more organic and plant-based foods and improving relationships with local farmers. However, before he starts implementing new changes he wants to build a relationship with ISU faculty and students to understand their needs.

“I want to get to know the people, the student leadership and find out what the needs are before I start listing goals,” Ali said. “That is more important to me than changes.”

Ali also plans on addressing the overcrowding problem many students face when eating at the dining centers on campus.

“I plan on addressing [students feeling overcrowded], absolutely, but that’s something to address once I am there,” he said. “It won’t be immediate but I have to see the problem first. I’m a person that spends time with challenges, not sitting in an office.”

Ali plans on maximizing food knowledge among his staff, chefs, companies and farmers he works with. He said the greatest change he is looking forward to from Ohio to Iowa is the opportunity to work with local farmers.

“There are more resources available, not just produce but with meats, chicken. It’s amazing,” he said. “And the ability to build relationships with local farmers, there is just more opportunity [in Iowa].”

Ali said the “key to understanding this position” is to provide for those who have dietary restrictions such as food allergies, religious beliefs and vegetarianism or veganism. He also plans on offering nutritional information when incorporating his new menus.

“People want to know what they are eating,” he said.

Ali said Iowa State has a great team of chefs that will provide him with new challenges, knowledge and opportunities to make the dining center “one of the best in the nation.”

“We need a team working together, and this opportunity is great for me because of my background and experience,” he said. “You need a leader to implement great things, and I plan on that.”