Letter: Free-speech zones diminish students’ First Amendment rights

A student attempts to give Sister Kirsten a condom during her preachings in the Agora outside Parks Library Nov. 2, 2015.

I am writing this as the primary author of the bill that would expand the free-speech zone. I am also the person who moved to table the bill indefinitely. I regret my decision and apologize to the student body for being cowardly and throwing in the towel.

As a passionate advocate for the Bill of Rights, I became shocked that a public university restricted the right to peacefully assemble to a tiny free-speech zone on campus. After careful research at other universities that have either voluntarily changed their free-speech policies or have had to by court order, I formulated my own ideas with the help of the University Affairs Committee, which I sit on; Student Legal Services; outside constitutional attorneys such as David French, who spoke to students a few weeks ago about free speech; and Warren Madden, senior vice president for business and finance.

The resolution that was presented and debated on was the fruit of this labor. Yes, the bill is not perfect. Unfortunately, we have a culture of hyper sensitivity and political correctness on college campuses that makes it extremely difficult, if not downright impossible, to have an intelligent discussion about the First Amendment. Until we say enough to safe spaces, trigger warnings and microaggression culture, among other forms of censorship of speech on our campuses, compromises like these are in order.

Unfortunately, many of my Student Government colleagues are willfully and arrogantly dismissive of students who express desires to be treated like adults and have the same rights they take for granted off campus. Fortunately, one of my other colleagues is going to resubmit the bill, and we will have it debated on during the last Senate meeting on Wednesday. I will fight this time instead of throwing in the towel.

Students of Iowa State University, flood your senators who represent you in either your College or Residential Constituency Council and demand that this bill be passed. Students’ First Amendment rights are absolute and should not be subjected to any groups’ will to power. When I informed my grandfather that my political leanings switched from left to right, he said these powerful words that I will always hold dear: “I may disagree, hate, be uncomfortable with what you say or stand for, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

As a conservative, I absolutely cannot stand the current “BlackLivesMatter” protests, but I will defend to the death, the protesters’ right to protest. I ask my fellow students to join me in that principle. I ask faculty and staff to join me in that principle. I ask my fellow senators, President Daniel Breitbarth and Vice President Megan Sweere to join me in that principle. And finally, I demand that our administration joins me in that principle.