ISU gets a visit from the London College of Fashion

Courtesy of Basia Szkutnicka

London College of Fashion director Basia Szkutnicka visits ISU to share her successes in the apparel industry with students.  Szkutnicka has authored numerous books, started a clothing line and lectured around the globe. 

Alisha Humiston

Basia Szkutnicka, Study Abroad Director and Lecturer in Design and Creativity at the London College of Fashion, discussed the different design programs available to students and the benefits of each during a recent visit to Iowa State.

She talked to students about the transition from Iowa to London and stressed the intensity of the programs and the expectations of each.

Szkutnicka attended Central Saint Martins School of Art, where she earned her bachelor’s degree in women’s wear. One of the biggest things she took away from her schooling was her network of industry professionals. Central Saint Martins is one of the most elite fashion programs with only a small number of students admitted.

Szkutnicka has more work experience than most could imagine, including authoring a textbook along with co-authoring a second; working for forecasting companies as well as stylists and commercial design companies;  lecturing across the globe; and educating aspiring students.

“I’ve worked in education for maybe the last 20 years but I started just visiting as a lecturer,” Szkutnicka said. “I got invited to schools to talk about all of the stuff I’ve done. I was asked to apply for this position 17 years ago. I applied for it and I got it. I’ve never ever applied for a job, I have always been asked to apply for a job.”

Many people often view the fashion industry as glamorous and fun, but Szkutnicka stressed to students that, in reality, it’s far from that.

“The fashion industry is hard to get into and even harder to stay in,” Szkutnicka said. “In today’s world, there’s more people than there are jobs.

While working at London College of Fashion for the past 17 years, Szkutnicka has seen her fair share of both success and failure stories.

“My favorite part is the success stories and students who have now become friends,” Szkutnicka said. “We’ve had a number of students from other countries that I still keep in touch with. I love the connection and it really helps to continue the story.”

Szkutnicka is traveling for 21 days to visit a variety of schools and universities, leading programs about the London College of Fashion.

“Its hard work and tiring,” Szkutinicka said. “I love what I do, but I miss home. That’s about the only negative though.”

Out of all the places she’s traveled, Siberia is without doubt her favorite.

“I was there for two days,” Szkutnicka said. “It was really bleak, really gray and ex-communist. The architecture was decaying, but to me that was the most inspiring place because students were so desperate to learn and so communicative. That was the most incredible place because they are so driven and creative.”

In the near future, Szkutnicka hopes to retire early from the London College of Fashion to write and lecture more.

“I like to write,” Szkutnicka said. “I write articles for magazines, fashion magazines and I’ve just written my second book on vintage fashion details. I love that when I write I am able to write honestly. I think with the new book coming out it is going to get translated into Chinese, so it could put me on the platform to do even more lecturing.”

Szkutnicka is an influential member of the fashion industry with connections and friends scattered in positions all across the globe. Her blunt humor and willful honesty draw people to her. 

To learn more about studying abroad at London College of Fashion and programs designed by Szkutnicka, contact an apparel, merchandising and design adviser.