Ultra Violet Fashion Show benefits charities

Jessica Jensen

Fashion and philanthropy took the stage Saturday night as Sigma Kappa hosted its annual Ultra Violet Fashion Show.

The show took place in the South Ballroom of the Memorial Union.

The night began with live entertainment by Shy of a Dozen, along with a silent auction and appetizers. All proceeds from the event are given to The Sigma Kappa Foundation, which supports Inherit the Earth, Maine Sea Coast Mission and Alzheimer’s research.

Aubri Westlake, junior in finance, is the director of philanthropy for Sigma Kappa and said the fashion show went a long way in helping the charities it sponsors.

“The money we raise is split evenly between the two organizations that need the monetary donations and then we, as part of the Sigma Kappa Foundation, help with the other two organizations giving our time and help,” Westlake said.

Every Sigma Kappa across the world has its own Ultra Violet event, Westlake said, but every event isn’t necessarily a fashion show.

“This is a really great distinction between each chapter and also brings out a great opportunity for every Sigma Kappa,” she said.

The first portion of Saturday night’s event showcased Portobello Road, a local clothing boutique. Portobello Road presented a variety of fall trends including scarves, sweaters, leg warmers and stonewash denim.

Sigma Kappa members modeled all garments seen in the show. Cassidy Mace, junior in business management, was a model in this year’s show.

“This is my third time modeling in the Ultra Violet show. Getting to spend the day with my sisters preparing for the event is always something I look forward to,” Mace said.

The main event quickly followed, consisting of student-designed garments. ISU students designed all garments seen in this category. Garments from 13 designers were ready to hit the runway. Sarah Bennett-George, lecturer in the apparel merchandising and design department, was a judge for this year’s Ultra Violet Fashion Show.

“When judging this year’s student designs, I am looking for creativity, quality construction, proper fit on the model and overall style,” Bennett said.

The students who design the clothing at the fashion show put in a lot of work before the show takes place. After seven months of hard work, Caleb Hanner, junior in apparel, merchandising and design, presented a number of pieces from his bridal collection.

“I love being able to take the same silhouette and make it unique in its own way with fabric manipulation,“ Hanner said.

Caleb enjoyed participating in Ultra Violet and having the opportunity to have a live model fitting, unlike his past show experiences.

The student designs in this year’s presentation showcased something that everyone could enjoy. Cameras flashed as Sigma Kappa models strutted each garment down the runway. Dresses of various styles caught the audience’s attention as bold colors, unique silhouettes and a variety of hemlines took center stage.

The awards presentation featured first and second awards as well as a People’s Choice Award. Haley Wandro received the first place award for her black dress featuring a lavender ombré accent. Jaimie Towle received second place for her floor length formal gown.

The audience was able to participate by voting for its favorite garment, The People’s Choice Award. Peggy Wang’s version of a black pleather dress with mesh cutouts won over the crowd.

Wang is a senior in apparel, merchandising and design with an emphasis in creative design. She challenged herself by successfully combining mesh fabric and pleather to create an appealing evening gown, which everyone seemed to love.

“I think my gown is trendy due to the use of pleather, but also unique because its something you don’t see a lot of people wearing,” Wang said.

The winning design by Wandro really caught the judge’s eye.

“Overall, the show was great, Bennett-George said. “We had a hard time deciding, as there were lots and lots of good choices. The construction was really nice, it fit the model really well and the purple ombré fabric was inserted into the seam line in a non-traditional place. The look overall was really pretty.”

Bennett-George also offered advice to designers wanting to participate in the future.

“Take the time to make sure that all the seams are finished and that everything is pressed nicely because the finishes make a huge difference,” Bennett-George said. 

Sigma Kappa’s dedication to The Sigma Kappa Foundation has led the chapter to raising funds for Inherit the Earth, Maine Sea Coast Mission, gerontology and Alzheimer’s research.