Five things to know about ISU softball second baseman Maddie Reese

Kevin Horner

1. Reese is a native of Pittsford, N.Y., which currently hosts a population of 1,347 people — merely 2.2% of Ames’ current population. Pittsford is an affluent suburb of Rochester, N.Y. Since Rochester is a stand-alone city in Upstate New York, it is neither affiliated with New York City nor any of the five boroughs.

2. Before transferring to Iowa State in 2012, Reese appeared in 42 games for the Arkansas softball squad. She started 12 games at second base for the Razorbacks, but was mainly utilized for her speed as a pinch runner. She also recorded her first home run against the University of Missouri-Kansas City.

3. In Reese’s first season at Iowa State, season she started all 55 of the Cyclones’ games. She accomplished this feat at three different positions: third base, second base, and catcher. That season, Reese went 11-for-11 in stolen bases.

4. In the 2013 season, unranked Iowa State squared off against #8 Oregon. In the bottom of the sixth inning with the game tied at one, Reese drove in the go-ahead, and eventually game-winning, run as Jorden Spendlove crossed home plate. The Cyclones’ 2-1 victory marked their only win over a ranked opponent that season.

5. In 2013, as a junior, Reese was named to the Easton Classic All-Tournament Team. She went 5-for-11 in the tournament and the Cyclones finished 2-2 on the tournament. Reese was also named to the Academic All-Big 12 First Team in 2014.

Read the full story here.