NextGen brings climate change issue to campuses

NextGen is a nonprofit organization working to bring climate change to the forefront of American politics. It wants to make the country more aware of climate change and encourage climate change to be a leading issue on politicians’ platforms.

Kassi Manternach

Though Iowa is having record low temperatures, many environmentalists are still concerned about global warming, including Tom Steyer, founder of the NextGen climate organization.

NextGen is a nonprofit organization working to bring climate change to the forefront of American politics. It wants to make our country more aware of climate change and encourage climate change to be a leading issue on politicians’ platforms.

It has already established campaigns in seven states: Iowa, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Maine, Florida and New Hampshire.

Steyer said he understands that climate change is a local issue as well as a global issue. He said he understands that Iowans are more likely to care about flooding in our communities than a drought in California. Even if we do not particularly care about climate on a global scale, we need to be aware of it on our local level, he said.

Wicitra Mahotama, president and founder of Iowa State Environmental Science Club and senior in environmental science, noted that we also need to address the issue on a local level.

“Stakeholders show interest to prioritize the environment. Iowa, being an agricultural state, the stake holders are the farmers,” Mahotama said. “So when Iowan farmers are interested in climate change and advocate for environmental law and policy to protect the environment, then political parties will have an influence.”

NextGen has recruited 450 volunteers throughout the state of Iowa.

“It’s not just understanding the problem, it is thinking it is important,” Steyer said.

Many people do not realize how much of a pressing issue climate change is in our world today, Steyer said. It is easy for older generations to say it is not their problem and overlook the issue, he said.

This is part of the reason NextGen is targeting Iowa State and other college campuses.

“For people under 30, this is the biggest issue,” Steyer said.

NextGen established a club at Iowa State and it was officially sanctioned Sept 3. They have 50 volunteers on campus and 30 students came to Day of Action on Sept. 11. NextGen has also signed up 1,000 students as climate voters.

NextGen hopes to register a lot of people and carry out conversations between club members and students. Steyer said students could be the most passionate about climate change, driving them to vote on the issue.

In the future, NextGen plans to continue building the organization and to actively push the issue of climate change. Steyer said he feels as if this campus and state can have shocking significance to the country.

“This is going to be the issue that shapes their success as a generation,” Steyer said of students.

It is important for each person to do their part, and students can make a few simple changes to have a significant impact on climate change.

One way to learn, according to Mahotama, is to educate oneself.

But students can help change the environment in simple ways, too. An easy step is to buy a refillable water bottle. Iowa State does a great job with providing stations to refill water bottles, he said.

Mahotama said it is important for students to be aware of and vote on climate change issues. Climate change is an issue with which our generation will always be faced.

“Love of learning will change climate change.”