Women in Motion presents ‘Girls Night Out’

Courtesy of Sam Wormley

Laura Merrick, left, and Deb Kline, right, dance together. Part of the Co’Motion Dance Theater, Women in Motion is a modern dance group that meets over the semester. All members of the group are Ames residents and/or ISU faculty who want to dance.

Cj Eilers

Women in Motion 2014 presents “Girls Night Out,” a tribute to Ames heroines that will celebrate the city’s 150th anniversary at 7:30 p.m. May 9 and 10 at the Ames City Auditorium.

Part of the Co’Motion Dance Theater, Women in Motion is a modern dance group that meets over the semester. All members of the group are Ames residents and ISU faculty who want to dance.

“It’s an amazing group of women,” said Valerie Williams, the group’s choreographer. “They will try anything. They are fearless.”

The dances this group will perform are inspired by women such as Abbie Sawyer, Ada Hayden, Cynthia Duff and Inis Grove. All are very important to the history of Ames.

“It’s important for people to know about these women,” said Elizabeth Ferreira, a member of the group. “It’s a great way for people to experience dancing and art.”

Silvina Lopez Barrera, another dancer for the group, adds that it is important to celebrate Ames, as well as the women who are honored in their dances.

“I don’t want people to take away something with this, but provoke something in every person,” Lopez Barrera said.

Williams, with the help of the dancers, choreographed the show to reflect a series of short stories.

“We are taking our audience’s mind into the atmosphere, each of the dancers illustrating a character,” Williams said. “It’s a story illustrated with motion.”

For both Ferreira and Lopez Barrera, working with this group has been the highlight of rehearsal.

“I love everything about it,” Lopez Barrera said. “I don’t just love this particular topic, but getting to dance with Valerie and Elizabeth.”

Tickets will be sold at the door for $15 for general admission, $10 for students and seniors and children under 15 are free.