New for 2014

Samantha Berrafato

Many different things happen throughout the week of Veishea that bring people from all over Iowa to Ames. Some of these are traditions, but there are also some things that are new for Veishea this year.

For live entertainment there are the popular Veishea LIVE concerts. This year’s big name artists who will be performing are Timeflies, Andy Grammer, David Cook, Down With Webster, Paradise Fears and Luke Christopher on Friday night. Saturday’s LIVE concert will include T.I., Sky Ferreira, Cassadee Pope, Jamie Lynn Spears, Sara Haze and Cris Cab. Ludacris was supposed to perform on Saturday night but ended up having a scheduling issue.

If you are looking to sing and dance, but not spend money, check out the new “Club Veishea” on central campus Friday and Saturday night from 10 p.m. until 2 a.m. This is not a new event but was moved from its original spot by the Student Services building over to central campus so it is better known. Club Veishea is a free event where students can go and dance to DJ Shaun Frank.

There are many different events that will be going on in the Memorial Union throughout the week; the Veishea committee has worked hard to get bigger named entertainment this year. On Friday in the Great Hall, Stevie Starr will be showing his impressive talent of regurgitation at 9 p.m. On Saturday, the Memorial Union will host hypnotist Brian Imbus, magician Justin Willman and ThinkFast, an interactive team trivia program.

Also on Saturday in Stephens Auditorium will be David Koechner, the comedian who plays Champ in the Anchorman movies at 10 p.m.

Cyclone Idol is not new, however, this year Kristian Bush from Sugarland will be hosting the competition. Following the competition, he will give a short performance with some behind-the-scenes information about Sugarland. Karl Kern said it took lot of networking to get Kristian Bush to Iowa State.

Veishea Dance competition, which will be held Wednesday night at 8 p.m., is a brand new student showcase for anyone who wants to show off his or her moves.

The competition is for any student or dance club that would like to participate. There will also be multiple prizes available for winners of the competition.

To perform, you must have applied previously and be an Iowa State student. Arrive and check in 30 minutes before the program starts. Groups may have no more than 15 people.

Students will be judged based on ability, accompaniment, style and presentation, and on how loud their friends cheer them on.

Another new change to this year’s Veishea celebration is the Cherry Pie Scholarship Run. Last year this was a scholarship 5K run, and it still is, but with a Veishea twist.

The run will start at 8 a.m. on Saturday, just before the parade. The idea came from the popular donut run concept where you have to stop at different stations to eat a donut. For the Cherry Pie Run, the first stop will be graham crackers, the second will be the cherry filling and the last will be whipped cream.

Last year, Gov. Terry Branstad was the parade marshall for Veishea. This year’s parade marshall will be Simon Estes.

Not only did the Veishea committee get bigger names for the young adults to enjoy, but also some for the Kids Corner.

This year will have some free Veishea entertainment for children from noon until 3 p.m. on Saturday.

The Zinghoppers, who are a children’s band like the Wiggles, will be there along with a magician, balloon artist, face painter and the Juggling and Unicycling clubs. Swanson, Veishea’s mascot, will also be there to spend time with the children.