Remembering Bill Kunerth: Schwartz Award given at remembrance event

Blake Lanser/Iowa State Daily

Michael Bugeja, director of the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication, speaks about Bill Kunerth, past professor for 31 years at Iowa State and First Amendment activist, during a Champion of the First Amendment ceremony.

Madisun Vangundy

William F. “Bill” Kunerth posthumously won the James W. Schwartz Award on April 16 at a remembrance event for him.

The Schwartz Award is the highest honor given by the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication, according to the Greenlee website.

Michael Bugeja, director of the Greenlee School, also presented the Champion of the First Amendment Award to Kunerth’s family.

Over 200 people gathered in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union in remembrance of Kunerth.

He died December 9, 2013, at the age of 89. Kunerth taught at Iowa State for 31 years.

“He was such a great example of an activist professor,” said Alice Haguewood about Kunerth during an open microphone session that gave people the chance to speak about their personal experiences with him.

Haguewood said Kunerth was like a one-man-career-center. He had little manila envelopes tacked outside his office, which he kept very current.

Kunerth had a bulletin board posted outside his office with various job opportunities listed. Haguewood said he had personal contacts with many employers.

A video titled “The Life and Times of Bill Kunerth” played during the ceremony. The video was broken up into sections of Kunerth’s life: “Army Days,” “The Love of My Life,” The Right Guy for the Job” and “We Are Family.”

No one in the audience looked away from the screen.

“I loved his fearlessness in demanding accountability from authority,” said Kathie Obradovich, ISU lecturer and reporter for the Des Moines Register.

Obradovich said Kunerth was her adviser, and she doesn’t think she would be reporting if it weren’t for him. He taught her to be skeptical and not take things for their face value.

He also helped her get her first job.

Kunerth enlisted in the Army at age 19. He fought in World War II and was awarded three medals including one for bravery in combat and a Purple Heart.

“Colleagues who taught with Bill in journalism never knew about his combat experience until they read his obituary,” wrote Tom Emmerson, Kunerth’s friend and colleague, in the ceremony’s program.

Mark Hankins, ISU alumnus, said Kurneth has a special place in a part of ISU history that will be remembered for a long time.

“He was truly the conscience of Iowa State, and there’s not many of those around anymore,” said Emmerson.

Emmerson organized the tribute because when Kunerth passed away in the winter, not everyone could make it to South Dakota for his funeral.

Emmerson said he misses Kunerth’s persistence and absolute dedication to transparent government.

Kunerth’s papers are being added to the library’s collection. Laura Sullivan, ISU archivist, said she’s very excited to look through his papers.

“I wish I could’ve met him, but I’m sure I’ll learn a lot going through his papers,” Sullivan said.

Kunerth is survived by he and his wife’s four children, Jeffrey, William, John and Myla.

Kunerth said in a letter written in December to a former student that it’s hard to beat 89 years, a loving family, 30 years in “a golden era of higher education” and popping the balloons of pompous power houses.