Iowa State improves effort, but not results against TCU

Max Dible

Iowa State extended its losing streak to six meets on Friday against No. 32 TCU. The scorecard in the 5-2 defeat reflected a more spirited effort from an ISU team that has struggled mightily since Big 12 play began.

For the first time all season, the doubles point was not a barometer for the outcome of the meet, as the ISU tennis team (8-10, 0-5 Big 12) seized the point at No. 2 doubles on the strength of an 8-7(3) victory by junior Meghan Cassens and sophomore Ana Gasparovic.

The Cyclones fell at No. 1 doubles, 8-3, but freshman Lydia Green and junior Caroline Andersen took care of business at the No. 3 spot, winning easily by a score of 8-2.

The second Iowa State point was scored at the No. 6 singles position where freshman Talisa Merchiers rolled over Sandra Ibarra of TCU, 6-0, 6-1.

It was the second match victory Merchiers has scored in conference play, vaulting her into position as one of Iowa State’s top performers against Big 12 competition alongside No. 1 singles player junior Ksenia Pronina.

Pronina could not find her stroke Friday, however, as she fell to No. 59 Stefanie Tan in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2.

Freshman Samantha Budai gave No. 121 Simona Parajova a run at No. 2 singles, but ultimately lost the match in a close second set, 6-2, 7-5.

Cassens came bitterly close to victory at the No. 3 spot, but was inched out by Sofiko Kadzhaya of TCU, 5-7, 6-2, 10-8.

Gasparovic was beaten at No. 4 singles 7-5, 6-0. In the second to last home meet of her career, senior Emma Waites fell to Monika Sirilova, 6-2, 6-0 at No. 5 singles.

The Cyclones will be back in action Sunday, March 30 when they meet No. 57 Texas Tech at Ames Racquet and Fitness. Matches are set to begin at 11 a.m.