ISU swim and diving team seals away 2013-2014 regular season

Miranda Cantrell/Iowa State Daily

Freshman Karyl Clarete competes in the 500 freestyle competition during the Senior Day conference against the Kansas Jayhawks at Beyer Hall on Feb. 8. Clarete took first place, and the Cyclones took the win over Kansas 163.5-136.5.

Kyle Heim

Record-breaking races and unbeaten road performances highlight the 2013-2014 regular season for ISU swimmers and divers.

Iowa State (7-3-1) kicked off the season with its first tie in school history, against Nebraska. The Cyclones ended the season with their first win at Beyer Pool in over a year.

“Our first meet against Nebraska was really fun, because they were expecting that win, and we put up a good fight,” said senior Katie Vollhaber. “We didn’t win, but we tied, which was good for our team.

As the season progressed, Iowa State became flawless away from home. The Cyclones finished their road season unbeaten (6-0-1) for the first time in ISU head coach Duane Sorenson’s 17-year tenure as coach.

The record-setting performances for Iowa State began in its third dual-meet of the season against South Dakota. The Cyclones posted eight-pool records at the Coyotes home venue.

The Cyclones had another record-breaking night when they played host to in-state rival Iowa. Iowa State lost the meet 165-135, but broke five records along the way. Senior Imelda Wistey tallied three of those records, and freshman Karyl Clarete set a Beyer Pool record in the 200 freestyle.

Iowa State closed out the regular season with a come-from-behind victory against Kansas at Beyer Pool on senior day. The Cyclones trailed by a point after day one of a two-day meet against the Jayhawks, but bounced back by scoring 89 of the last 150 points.

“We wanted to show everyone we can win at home too,” Wistey said. “We can win at home, and we did. I’m very proud of the girls, and I’m very proud of myself.”

According to Sorenson, the seven-win season marked one of the most successful years the team has ever witnessed.

“This is probably one of our most competitive teams,” Sorenson said. “As an overall group, they just love to race. I’d put them up there as one of the top teams ever at Iowa State.”

Seven seniors will depart from this years’ squad, including Alex Gustafson, Jessica Henderson, Haley Krezeczowski, Carissa Poeschel, Sarah Thompson, Katie Vollhaber, Emily Wiltsie, and Imelda Wistey.

The Cyclones, however, will return multiple key pieces to next year’s squad including freshman Karyl Clarete (first-place finishes in ten different events), junior Amanda Paulson (25 career first-place finishes in the 50 freestyle) and sophomore Elyse Brouillette (2012-2013 Iowa State most valuable diver).

“I think [the team] has performed really strong this season,” Vollhaber said. “We had our struggles here at home, but coming into our last meet, we still had that confidence to change our home record. I think the freshman have really stepped up their game, and came into our program knowing what to expect and what we expect of them.”