Enactus club supports women who weave baskets for a living in Kenya

Courtesy of Enactus Club

The Western Kentucky University Enactus group started the Kenyan Basket Program approximately eight years ago. Iowa State’s group contacted Western Kentucky this year and formed an alliance with the university.

Blake Dowson

The ISU Enactus club has begun supporting a group of women who weave baskets to make a living in Kenya.

“Essentially, the Kenyan Basket Program is a project taken on by our whole club, Enactus, that is creating a U.S. market for a group of basket weaving women in Rukunga, Kenya,” said David Ferguson, junior in marketing and project leader. “The women naturally collect the raw basket materials in Kenya, string out the material, dye the sisal, weave the basket and send them to the States.”

Western Kentucky University’s Enactus group started the Kenyan Basket Program about eight years ago. Iowa State’s group contacted Western Kentucky this year and formed an alliance with the university, due to the saturation of their market.

Ferguson said the women set their price and Enactus pays for the baskets and then resell them for a small profit. The profit then goes toward buying more baskets, club expenses and other projects’ costs. The group is currently looking for local charities to which to donate a portion of the money as well.

The money the women in Kenya make off of the baskets goes toward supporting their family and sending their kids to school, said Stephanie Braun, a freshman in pre-business and a member of Enactus.

Ferguson said the Kenyan Basket Program is different than other charities and handouts.

“The women weaving the baskets say that the majority of their profits go towards raising their families and towards their children’s education,” Ferguson said. “In Kenya, the schools are typically far away and cost a lot of money. When the parents do not have the money, the kids are sent home and don’t learn anything until they come up with the funds. KBP is giving the women and the children the means to receive a better education and hopefully ending the vicious cycle of poverty.”

Enactus is looking to expand their funding for the baskets by working with local businesses, farmers’ markets and various individuals.

“Along with retailers, we also hope to sell baskets at various stands on and around campus during events,” Ferguson said.

The Enactus club is still relatively small, but that comes with its advantages, said Ferguson.

“Everyone is very involved and working for the common good — everyone from our marketing team to the various individuals who have contacted potential buyers and sellers. We are not very large nor well known on campus. However, I think we are doing great things and hopefully people will notice our impact on campus and in the community before long,” Ferguson said. “We hope to have stands, flyers and pamphlets available around campus. Especially during the holiday season.”

Anyone interested in becoming involved with Enactus can attend one of the group’s meetings, from 5 to 6 p.m. Tuesdays in 2320 Gerdin Business Building.

“Our goal is to sell as many baskets as possible,” Ferguson said. “Since we aren’t necessarily in the game for profits, we just hope to sell enough to sustain the women in Kenya.”