New assistant dean of multicultural student affairs

Miranda Cantrell/Iowa State Daily

Kenyatta Shamburger is the new director of Multicultural Student Affairs at Iowa State. He is the former director of Student Activities at Clemson University. Shamburger looks forward to getting to know the ISU campus and student body. “It’s been a good transition for me,” he said.

Logan Olson

After traveling more than 1,000 miles across the country, Kenyatta Shamburger took the positions of assistant dean of students and director of Multicultural Student Affairs at Iowa State.

Shamburger was the director of student activities at Clemson University in Clemson, S.C., for nearly seven years. The student population at Clemson University is about 17,000 students.

That number nearly doubles at Iowa State. It was a big step in Shamburger’s career, he said. 

“I was at [a] place where I wanted to do something different, and this was a great next step,” Shamburger said. “So I applied, and as they say, the rest is history.”

Along with the step foward in his career, Shamburger’s role changed as well.

“From a Multicultural Student Affairs standpoint, I work closely with our multicultural students on campus,” Shamburger said. “In our office we do programming, we provide academic resources and two scholarship programs.” 

Shamburger works in conjunction with the dean of students and gives other opportunities that engage all students.

Shamburger’s main goals for the year are, “getting accustomed to the Midwest culture and weather,” he said. “I think there are experiences I have had and things that I have learned from other positions, but learning how we do things at Iowa State is very important to know.”

Shamburger said he also hopes to learn more about what the office has done in the past and some of the goals that the office would like to accomplish.

Ebony Williams, program coordinator for Multicultural Student Affairs, works with Shamburger on a daily basis.

“It’s been really great working with Kenyatta,” Williams said. “I think the noticeable difference for me in the office has been the leadership. He has great vision, and it’s just been fun to work with him.” 

Shamburger has a different staff member lead the staff meeting each week.

Williams said that although it may be a minor thing, she feels that it lets staff members put their own personal touches to each meeting, which allows each member of the staff to take ownership.

Shamburger said he encourages students to visit him and other staff members.

“There are a lot of great opportunities that the office offers and just stop by and get to know the staff,” Shamburger said. “The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs exists, and we are here to be a resource of support for our students.”