CyGuide: Undergraduate vs. graduate school

Samantha Weese

Among those in the diverse crowd of varying religions, races, ethnic groups and backgrounds at Iowa State University, there are two different types of students: undergraduates and graduates.

When it comes to deciding whether or not to attend graduate school, students at Iowa State have a lot to consider.

There are differences between undergraduate and graduate students, responsibilities being one. Many graduate students are teaching assistants for a lab or are research assistants for professors employed by the university.

Karri Folks is a graduate student at Iowa State and is in her first year of completing a Ph.D. in animal behavior. Folks is currently the teaching assistant (T.A.) for a mammalogy lab and said that, in comparison with her experience as an undergraduate, graduate school is more time-consuming.

“Along with your classes, you are also working on your own research projects and being a research assistant, so it’s a little more time-consuming in that aspect,” Folks said.

Folks completed her undergraduate degree along with 2 1/2 years of graduate work at Tuskegee University in Tuskegee, Ala.

She also completed 2 1/2 years of master’s research work at Western Illinois University in Macomb, Ill., before the research work of Sue Fairbanks caught her attention and brought her to Iowa State.

Although more is expected of you and it is more time-consuming, Folks said graduate school is not bad.

“Compared to being an undergraduate, [graduate school] is more specialized, so I like it more now that I can focus on what I want instead of taking general classes that don’t really apply,” Folks said.

There are several reasons students may choose to continue with their studies.

“I want to open up more opportunities for myself and further my education,” said Kaitlyn Fuqua, an undergraduate biology major who is considering attending graduate school.

Fuqua has been a T.A. as an undergraduate for a genetics lab and an ecology lab as well.

“Being a T.A., I’ve spent a lot of time with other graduate students, so I have some knowledge of what graduate school will be like,” Fuqua said.

Fuqua said the biggest change shifting from undergraduate to graduate school will be the format and subject matter of the classes.

“It will be a nice change of pace,” Fuqua said. “I’m looking forward to having more interest-specific classes.”

When making the decision whether or not to attend graduate school, undergraduates may consider if it is necessary for their career path. For both Folks and Fuqua, a bachelor’s degree simply wasn’t enough.

“Jobs I was looking at applying for listed a master’s or a Ph.D. as a requirement,” Folks said.

Fuqua is aiming for a career in biological anthropology and knows a bachelor’s degree won’t be the end of her education.

“With a biology degree, there aren’t as many job opportunities that interest me without going into something more specific,” Fuqua said.

To get into graduate school, students must complete the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) along with an application, essays and anything else the specific university requires.

When asked about the GRE, Folks grimaced a little.

“I didn’t like the GRE,” Folks said with a laugh. “I found it difficult. But what I like about the GRE now is that some grad schools are looking at your GRE test score along with your grades, which I think is important.”

Fuqua said she is nervous for the GRE, but she is preparing for it in multiple ways.

“I have a test prep book that I’m using along with some flash cards from a friend who had previously taken the GRE,” Fuqua said.

Along with the GRE exam, there is also an application process for applying to graduate school.

“I found the application process to be straightforward, but a little stressful because there are so many possibilities,” Folks said, recalling her own application process. “Professors might really want to work with you, but there sometimes isn’t enough funding to bring you into the program.”

The financial burden is also one of Fuqua’s biggest worries when it comes to attending graduate school.

“It’s hard deciding on where to go because of funding,” Fuqua said. “None of the professors really know what their funding budget will be in the fall of 2014 yet, so it makes it difficult to make a decision on where.”