Board of Regents to vote on additional off-campus housing

Photo: Suit Yee/Iowa State Daily

(From left to right) Regent Nicole C. Carroll, Regent David W. Miles and Regent Robert N. Downer is attending the Board of Regents meeting in the Sun Room in the Memorial Union. The board discussed about Iowa universities and students’ issues during the meeting on March 13, 2013.

Danielle Ferguson

Iowa State is looking to add 503 new beds to off-campus housing for the 2013-2014 school year.

Leases from apartment building 119 Stanton and four apartment buildings from Jensen Properties in West Ames must be approved by roll call vote at the Board of Regents meeting that begins on April 24, 2013 and continues to April 25.

Both located south of campus, 119 Stanton would add 299 beds and office space, and Jensen would add another 204 beds.

“We were about 2 percent higher on recontracting rates, and last year was one of our largest classes in decades and largest on campus population in decades,” said Pete Englin, director of the Department of Residence.

These additions accompany those of Frederiksen Court, which the Board of Regents approved in October 2012, to meet raised housing demands of students.

Even with an additional 240 beds added in fall 2013 and 480 more later in 2014, the Department of Residence still cannot meet housing requests.

“It’s one of those things that when we were looking to build the Frederiksen units and we went through the bid process toward the end of last semester, we learned how many bed spaces would be available for us for fall and then available for January 2014, and we realized there’s a possibility of a deficit,” Englin said.

The locations only serve as a temporary fix to current demand. When the year lease is up, there is a possibility of renewing the contracts.

If the leases are not renewed, American Campus Committees would offer relocation to another property in the area. The university may offer to pay half of tenants’ relocation costs if necessary, but students can choose to look for housing vacancies.

This is agenda item 20 on April 25, and will be toward the end of the 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. open session.

Directly preceding the off-campus housing item will be presentations from unrepresented faculty and staff about 2014 salary issues. The Board will hear concerns from the Iowa State Professional and Scientific Council and Faculty Senate, Iowa School for the Deaf faculty and University of Northern Iowa Professional and Scientific Council.

Faculty Senate President Suzanne Hendrich will be presenting on behalf of the Faculty Senate.

“It’s not anything new. We want to advocate that we would definitely like to see that salary increase,” Hendrich said. “It’s clear that people think we need to continue to make progress on reasonable salary.”

An update on the status of the Transparency Task Force will be given.

The Annual Regent Student Financial Aid Report will inform Board members that financial aid to Iowa students topped $1 billion for the first time.

A presentation on student loans will be given on April 24 under the Education and Student Affairs Committee by Iowa Student Loans. This will be between 1:30 and 3 p.m.

Community members can listen to live recording of the meeting through the Board’s website.