Percussion Ensemble 2013

Cj Eilers

The ISU Percussion Ensemble, lead by Prof. Matt Coley, will be performing at Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall Wednesday, Feb. 27 as part of their state tour with guest percussionist Lynn Vartan.

“It is very beneficial for the students to experience professionals working together and to get the opportunity to perform with them,” Coley said. “Having the opportunity to hear from a new artist and be instructed by them is very valuable to developing a well-rounded musician. They learn what is required of them if they are going to be professional musicians.”

Lynn Vartan teaches at Southern Utah University and hosts a Satellite Salon Series twice a year, a program in which she invites a unique musician to visit campus and collaborate with another artist who is on faculty at SUU. Last year, Coley was invited as that guest to perform with Vartan’s students. Coley then invited Vartan to participate in the ISU Percussion Ensemble’s regular February concert.

The tour itself goes from Feb. 26 to March 1, hitting all the three public state universities, set up by Coley. The ensemble’s first stop will be at West Marshal High School, then Iowa State the next day, followed by University of Northern Iowa for three day, then the University of Iowa on the last day.

For Brandon Weeks, a junior in music education, playing in the Percussion Ensemble gives him a unique opportunity during this tour.

“It will be fun to play for different audiences at different levels,” Weeks said. “With going to a high school, it’s educational for our listeners. For other colleges, it’s performing and hearing others play as well.”

Weeks will be performing Hittade by Maria Finkelmeier, featured as a marimba soloist, backed by three other percussionist. Like many musicians, Weeks began playing percussion in 5th grade band and has continued since then, explaining that he loves percussion for a reason.

“There is so many instruments to play, I love the variety,” Weeks said. “I can play in any kind of ensembles as a percussionist, like: chamber orchestra, pep band, marching band.”

Coley, a clinician and composer as well as a teacher, will be joining his students on stage and with Vartan for several pieces.

“I am excited that Lynn and I are getting to finally perform some serious percussion repertoire together,” Coley said. “It’s great that after all the preparation we are doing for the music together we will get to perform it 4 times.”