Third-party options can offer U.S. voters alternative views

Solomon Keithley

While the Republican and Democratic presidential candidates are hogging the limelight, there are five names on the voting ballot this year that are not Mitt Romney or Barack Obama.

Representing the Constitution Party is Virgil Goode, who has been a Republican, Independent and Democratic congressman for the state of Virginia. Goode wants to lower the national deficit by cutting programs such as National Endowment for the Arts and No Child Left Behind, and by slashing and trimming several other programs.

“Reducing regulations will help the United States become energy independent,” Goode said. “That will, in turn, create more jobs for Americans.”

“First and foremost, we are bringing in thousands of foreigners every year that take jobs every year. They are taking jobs that college students should be getting every year,” Goode said. “Each year we bring in 1.2 million green card workers; if I am elected president, I will end that. It makes no sense to bring in so many people from foreign countries when we have people here who pay taxes and are citizens that need those jobs.”

Representing the Liberta-rian Party is former New Mexico Republican Governor Gary Johnson. According to his campaign literature, Johnson wants to make sure that a new health care program will increase the amount of care Americans receive while decreasing the cost.

Johnson believes affordable energy is critical not only to our quality of life, but also for the health of the economy. By making schools  more affordable, Johnson believes that more power will be put into the hands of students while also giving parents the right to choose where their kids will go to school at a young age.

Jill Stein is running for the Green Party. According to her website, Stein is “a mother, physician, longtime teacher of internal medicine, and pioneering environmental-health advocate.”

Stein and Cheri Honkala, vice presidential candidate for the Green Party, have created The Green New Deal, which is a four-part program inspired by the New Deal programs of the 1930s. According to Stein’s website, The Green New Deal program aims to “create an economy that makes our communities sustainable, healthy and just.”

[Corrected from: Roseanne Barr, formerly known for being the star of the show “Roseanne,” is running for the Green Party. Barr wants to lower the cost for college students and forgive all student loans. She believes forgiving student loans is the only way to end the burden of student debt.

A priority of Barr’s is to bring home the troops from Afghanistan. Barr wants a resource-based economy and  new “green” jobs that will give citizens careers that are environmentally-friendly.]

Jack Fellure of the Prohibition Party is basing his campaign on the Biblical statutes. Fellure believes in job creation and reducing the amount of jobs that are outsourced.

Peta Lindsay from the Socialism and Liberation parties believes in making jobs a constitutional right. Lindsay believes in making minimum wage $20 per hour and in guaranteeing a living income for those who cannot work. 

In order to make education affordable, Lindsay believes in forgiving student loans. However, Lindsay is is 27 and therefore ineligible due to age.

“I feel like they are kind of wasting their time because Mitt Romney and Barack Obama are the only legitimate candidates in the election,” said Aaron Ventling, junior in pre-business. “I like the idea of third party candidates because they can sometimes offer a better alternative to the two major parties.”