Cyclones’ Parle arrested for public intoxication, will not play Friday

Brianna Buenz/Iowa State Daily

Freshmen forward Austin Parle in a face-off against a member of the Arizona Sun Devils. The Cyclones lost 3-4 in overtime against the second ranked Sun Devils on Friday October 5, 2012.

Clint Cole

Editor’s note: The article has been updated to reflect that Austin Parle has had the incident expunged from his personal record by the State of Iowa.

The ISU hockey team will be without its freshman forward Austin Parle for this weekend’s game against the North Iowa Bulls. The 21-year-old Ames native was arrested Oct. 7 for public intoxication. The incident has since been expunged from his record.

For players in situations like this, ISU coach Al Murdoch said “they tend to be punished pretty good.”

“We’ve kind of had the unwritten rule that, yes, they do go on the inactive list. They move down to the bottom of the lineup and have to work their way back up,” Murdoch said. “And if you’re at the bottom of the lineup with 28 players, that means you’re not going to dress.”

Parle has made an impact with the Cyclones so far in the early season. He ranks fifth on the team in scoring with six points (five goals and one assist) through eight games this season.

Even without their freshman forward, the Cyclones play one game this Friday against the North Iowa Bulls of the North American Tier III Hockey League, a Tier III junior A league.

Murdoch said they will be dressing about six guys who have not been playing a lot to give them a little more experience.

Along with getting some younger players experience against the Bulls, Murdoch intends to use this weekend as a form of recruiting. Before the game he is going to go to their team dinner to tell them about Cyclone Hockey and give them a campus tour on their bus afterwards.

Last weekend, the Cyclones were swept by No. 2 Arizona State 4-3 in overtime and 2-1. Junior goalie Scott Ismond was named player of the week by Cyclone Hockey after he made 43 saves on 45 shots in the losing effort on Saturday.

Ismond, who will likely see some playing time this weekend in a game against a junior team, said he isn’t only thinking about this game.

“We’ve got a tough weekend series the weekend after that against Robert Morris,” Ismond said. “You just kind of have to look down the schedule and see who’s coming and prepare for everybody just the same.”

The Cyclones face off against the North Iowa Bulls at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena.