GENRE welcomes a wide range of musicians

GENRE

GENRE

Cj Eilers

Those familiar with Iowa State are aware of it’s music program, but perhaps not aware of music activities outside of the program.

GENRE, one of these clubs outside of the program, gives students a chance to play their instruments in a non-competitive and fun environment.

Gathering Everyone Nearby to Raucously Entertain (GENRE) was formed in the spring of 2011 by Malcolm Kelly, junior in mechanical engineering, and John Etherington, junior in electrical engineering. The club had its first official meeting in the fall of that year.

Students involved in GENRE are not part of a music ensemble in the music program, for such reasons as time conflicts and the need for a less competitive group.

“It provides a very low-pressure environment,” said Jon Iverson, a member of GENRE. “You don’t need to come in with a practiced arrangement.”

The group contains students in a wide variety of backgrounds, majors and skill levels. Currently, the group has about 20 active members, but many students are interested enough to be included on a mailing list. GENRE serves many purposes for its members: networking, enable them to rent instruments, and to play with people they have never play with before. GENRE members have gone on to form independent projects outside the group and other musical activities in the local area.

“We want them to get to know each other, so they can go out, play and form bands and have a network,” Kelly said.

Meeting every other Friday, the members play many different genres of music that include jazz, funk, Indian and other international styles. GENRE members play a variety of instruments for the ensemble: drums, guitars, bass, accordion, synthesizers fiddle and even a didgeridoo. Much of the playing is more improvisation-based.

Aishwarya Srindhi, the group’s publicity chair, said GENRE “is not very rigid. You don’t have to plan it.” In fact, there are no requirements to join if a student plays an instrument.

“We want to make music,” Etherington said. “We’re not music teachers.”

GENRE began renting out instruments to members this month in order to accommodate members who would otherwise be unable to play. Although they are not funded by the Government of the Student Body (GSB), the group collects dues from members. According to Kelly and Etherington, having more members is their goal.

“There are a lot of people who are on our email list,” Kelly said. “They are just waiting for the group to become bigger.”

GENRE invites anyone interested in playing music to join them for their bi-weekly Friday meetings in room 125 in Music Hall. To learn more about the group, go to their Facebook page at GENRE Music Club or email them at [email protected].