Fire starts at St. Thomas Aquinas

The upper part of a wall at St. Thomas Aquinas Church & Catholic Student Center was charred by smoke during a fire Tuesday, Sept. 25, during the night. The fire was small but damaged a small section of the building and created a large amount of smoke. The photo was taken Thursday, Sept. 27.

Daily Staff

(Updated 2:26 p.m. Sept. 27, 2012):

St. Thomas Aquinas announced via its Facebook page that Sunday Mass will be held in Benton Auditorium at the Scheman Building.

(Updated 4:54 p.m. Sept. 26, 2012):

Tina Marie Meyer, 51, of Ames, was arrested and charged with first degree arson, a class B felony, Wednesday, Sept. 26, 2012.

Cmdr. Jim Robinson said witnesses saw Meyer leaving the church during the fire — her car was located inside the church parking lot. Meyer was located outside of the Ames Police station two hours afterward, barefoot and suffering from burns. 

Meyer was transferred to the Story County Jail, where she is being held on a $25,000 bond.

A fire broke out at St. Thomas Aquinas Church and Catholic Student Center on the night of Tuesday, Sept. 25. The Reverend Jim Dubert said the fire began at about 9:40 p.m., and the Ames Fire Department was on the scene in minutes.

Dubert said the fire began when some upstairs couches caught fire, the cause of which is unknown as or publishing.

The fire was first noticed by the fire alarm system in the building and quickly located afterward by members of the church.

Everyone got out of the building safely, but the building will be closed for the rest of the night, Dubert said.

Dubert went on to say that the damage was minimal and the building should be opened back up tomorrow.

The Director of Campus Ministry Shari Rilly said, they were blessed to have great neighbors — members of Delta Upsilon Fraternity came down to make sure everyone was alright. 

As the firefighters extinguished the fire, people formed prayer circles to pray for the fire to be extinguished, which the firefighters did shortly after arriving at the scene.

“I think their prayers are being answered,” Dubert said.

Four student that reside in apartments located at the church were displaced from the building for the night. However, they have found a alternative places to stay.

Check back with the Daily as more details are released.