Students score big at WelcomeFest

WelcomeFest is an event hosted by the Student Activities Center every year. It is a place where local businesses can display their services, products and employment options to the incoming students at Iowa State.

This event brings together roughly 4,000 students and more than 100 businesses and departments together to welcome students to the university and educate them on both the businesses in the Ames community and the various departments here at Iowa State.

Every year at WelcomeFest businesses will do almost anything to attract students to their booth. 

Some businesses will feed, massage and give out free items to students. Other booths offer job opportunities and ways to get involved in an effort to recruit students to their business. 

Students who attend WelcomeFest will often come out of the Memorial Union carrying bags full of free stuff including but not limited to: koozies, condoms, makeup, cupcakes, junk food and water bottles, among other things.

A major feature point of WelcomeFest is the free items that students can get from the businesses that attend. 

When signing up for WelcomeFest, businesses are specifically told (original emphasis retained): “WelcomeFest is advertised as a FREE event to students. Selling foods/services/products at the booths is NOT allowed, but you may give away samples, employment applications, invitations or information in regards to the products/services you offer to the ISU community. Credit card solicitation is prohibited at Iowa State University,” according to the WelcomeFest registration form available on the Student Activities Center website.

In this regard, students can rest assured they are attending an event that will not be emptying their wallets but, rather, filling their bags.

Businesses can request a booth on the ISU website. The cost is $150 for any business and is free to students. This event will be from 5:30 to 9 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Parking for this event will be provided by the university in the Memorial Union parking ramp. Each business will receive one parking pass.