Wickert assumes role as senior vice president and provost

Photo: Lyn Bryant/Iowa State Dai

Jonathan Wickert, dean of the College of Engineering and one of the candidates for senior vice president and provost, discussed how he would handle the position in an open forum in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union on Monday, April 23. Wickert came to Iowa State in 2007 and was a formerly a faculty member of the Carnegie Mellon University engineering department.

Jonathan Wickert, dean of the College of Engineering at Iowa State University, was named the new senior vice president and provost on Tuesday.

Wickert, who arrived at Iowa State in 2007 as the chair of the department of mechanical engineering, will assume the new position on July 30.

“I’m really looking forward to serving in the new position and working with President [Steven] Leath,” Wickert said. “What excites me most about the provost position is being able to work across the university…”

The search for the new senior vice president and provost began after the current executive vice president and provost, Elizabeth Hoffman, announced in February that she would leave the position by Dec. 31 or when a new provost was able to fill the position.

Hoffman said in an email that Wickert will make an “excellent provost” and explained that she and Wickert will work to “ensure a smooth transition” by meeting regularly.

“President [Gregory] Geoffroy and [Elizabeth] Hoffman have handed off a university that is in great shape,” Wickert said, who hopes to keep the “momentum” moving in the right direction as he takes on the new role. “The university is moving in the right direction.”

Wickert hopes to work closely with all of the deans as they prepare for an enrollment of over 30,000 students in the fall. Wickert wants to make sure there is still “good course availability” for the even greater number of students.

“I’m really excited to have Jon on the senior management team,” Leath said, who felt that it’s great that Wickert will bring Iowa State experience to the position.

An interim dean for the College of Engineering will be named as Wickert transitions into his new office as a search committee begins to look for a permanent person to fill the dean position.

Wickert felt that it will be a “priority” for him to work closely with faculty, staff and students in the coming weeks to “identify” someone to take on the role of interim dean of the College of Engineering.

Leath named Wickert to the position after a national search, though the selection must still be approved by the state Board of Regents. 

Leath explained that students, faculty and staff can expect to see “a comprehensive plan come about to run the university more efficiently,” and “key academic plans,” form as Wickert and Leath begin to work together.

Three finalists were selected in April to visit the university and hold open forums to present their goals to faculty, staff and students. Among these finalists were David Manderscheid, Carlo Montemagno and Wickert.

Wickert attended the University of California, Berkeley, where he received his bachelor’s in 1985, his masters degrees in 1987 and his doctorate in 1989. All were in mechanical engineering.

Since he is already a Cyclone, Wickert hopes to “hit the ground running” as he takes on the role as senior vice president and provost.