Concerns about Ethos latest issue to be addressed in meeting

Randi Reeder

A Vice President of the University, two University professors and the advisor of Ethos, a student run magazine are meeting Friday to discuss the “Sex and Love Issue” without the student editors of the publication. 

The meeting was called after the two University professors, Jim McElroy and  Brad Shrader both of management complained to President Leath and the dean of the colleges. 

Students involved with Ethos were not informed about a meeting happening.

When asked why students were not invited to the meeting Hill commented that, “It would not be appropriate at this time”.

Frank LoMonte, executive director at the Student Press Law Center, said, “Everybody is welcome to complain,” but any concerns should be discussed “between the student editor and the person who has the concerns“ because the “adviser cannot control the content and the students are entitled to push boundaries.”

Hill could not answer as to why McElroy and Shrader did not go directly to the editors with their concerns about the publication or why their concerns were skipped over students and addressed straight to the presidential level.

Hill said that McElroy wrote an email to ISU President Steven Leath with concerns unknown to Hill. Hill also could not answer why the meeting was happening or as to what the purpose of the meeting was to be.

McElroy refused to comment until after the meeting had occurred.

“What if you had written for this magazine or were in the cover photo and showed it to your parents? How would they react,” Shrader said over the phone.

The cover on the issue in question is a photo of two ISU students in a sexual pose between the shelves of Parks Library, which was in an effort to portray the front of a 2002 Ethos publication about the same topic of relationships at the Library.

Ethos student staff got full permission to have the photo shoot within the library from Dean of Parks Library Olivia Madison.

“It does not matter what a parent may think, for the students are now adults,” LoMonte said.

Shrader said he did not own a copy of the magazine but does not believe the publication follows the letter at the front of the publication written by Amy Popillion, senior lecturer of human development and family studies, about open communication in the bedroom which leads to a better sex life.

Shrader wanted to see more scientific information and research published within the magazine.

Shrader also said he read the quote taken out and placed above the main story, “Between the Stacks,” by Madison was portrayed in a wrong light. He said he had not read the entire article.

The article written by Kait McKinney discussed relationships that have budded from within the walls of Parks library, as well as a story about a couple having sex within the tiers.