Affirmative action rooted in ISU policy

The stance on affirmative action is a topic for discussion for many places. Iowa State is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.

Affirmative Action, according to the American Association for Affirmative Action, “refers to positive steps aimed at increasing the inclusion of historically excluded groups in employment, education and business.”

Iowa State’s Non-Discrimination and Affirmative Action Statement was reaffirmed on November 1, 2011.

“I think that it’s important that when you talk about the misunderstanding about affirmative action, I would agree because discrimination and affirmative action are two separate things,” said Jessica Stolee, interim assistant director of the office of Equal Opportunity and Compliance.

“That’s [affirmative action] something that is required by the federal government, and since we accept federal funds, we are required to be an affirmative action equal opportunity employer and institution,” Stolee said.

The university’s affirmative action statement says that “Iowa State University is committed to developing and implementing a program of nondiscrimination and affirmative action, a responsibility the university accepts willingly because it is the right and just thing to do.”

With being an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Iowa State does not discriminate against people on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability or status as a U.S. veteran.

“Affirmative action is a regulation. … It basically tells us that we have to show that we have done our due diligence in recruiting minorities and women. It’s about recruitment, so what have we done to cast the broadest net to recruit minorities and females to our institution,” Stolee said.

The Equal Opportunity and Compliance office, which used to be called the affirmative action office, has a mission to “proactively champion fair and equal treatment of current and potential students, staff and faculty by monitoring compliance with Federal, State and University guidelines.”

With the mission is also their vision of “a more inclusive, global community by encouraging students, staff and faculty to engage one another in creative and respectful interactions.”

Stolee explained that there are differences between discrimination and affirmative action, the latter which deals with recruitment.

“Our office, our main purpose here on campus is to address discrimination and harassment. We’re also responsible for affirmative action and the plan and the requirements that the law has for Iowa State University, but our main job here is to administer the discrimination and harassment policy,” Stolee said. “People have the right to express their concern about mistreatment, and we want them to do that and there are a number of different ways that they can do that.”

President Franklin Roosevelt first implemented the idea of affirmative action in 1941, according to the American Association of Affirmative Action, that required federal contracts containing a clause banning employment discrimination on the basis of color, creed and national origin. It was signed Executive Order 8802 outlawing discrimination in the war industries. President John Kennedy, though, was the first to use the term affirmative action in context in 1961.

According to their website, Iowa State believes that affirmative action gives a “safe and supportive climate for all members of the ISU community in classrooms and laboratories, in offices, in the residence hall system and throughout the campus.”

The policy applies to all university sponsored programs and activities, as well as events with cooperation to the university.

“Each area, department, unit, they are responsible for their own recruitment, but we do have an affirmative action plan which we are required to do every year. … We look at that plan every year and say ‘Where are we lacking in minorities and women,’” Stolee said. “Usually what we do is we make sure there are resources for departments and units to go out and really target those groups that maybe don’t have as many employed, whether it’s a minority group or females.”

Stolee explained that students, faculty and staff can come to their office in Beardshear Hall or to the Dean of Students office with any questions or concerns dealing with these topics.