Social Justice Summit allows students to learn from one another

Frances Myers

The Student Activities Center will host the Social Justice Summit at the Knapp Storms Dining Complex on Friday at 5:30 p.m.

The Social Justice Summit will be an opportunity for students to increase their awareness of inclusion issues and to develop action plans that will assist them in being agents of change on campus.

Formerly known as the Multicultural Leadership Summit, the Social Justice Summit is now in its 11th year.

According to the Student Activities Center website, social justice is “the continuous process of eliminating ignorance and prejudice through education and advocacy to bring about greater equity among all members of society and ensuring every dimension of identity is not prejudiced against by society as a whole. Social justice is a process in which people strive to eliminate the roots of oppression through education and the redistribution of resources, opportunities and responsibilities. In the pursuit of education people must use education as a tool to empower the people so that they can eliminate the oppression of all. Acting as one, people must create an open, equitable and just society.”

The goals for the Summit are to allow students to learn from each other in a safe environment and diverse setting; to allow participants the opportunity to learn more about “who they are” and “what they bring” to the ISU campus; to provide opportunities for students to develop personal goals and an action plan in the areas of diversity, multiculturalism and social justice; to provide an opportunity for participants to build coalitions with students “similar to” and “different from” themselves to achieve mutual goals for social change; to create specific action steps as a group in order to have short term and long term goals; and to connect, reflect, network and commit to social change through their personal action plan, following the Social Justice Summit.

The Social Justice Summit is set to last until approximately 9 p.m. Cost is free to get in and registration is free and open to ISU undergraduate and graduate students.

This year’s event will feature Becky Martinez, an independent consultant and trainer with a focus on social justice, inclusion and leadership.