Interior design students travel to NYC

Kaitlyn De Vries

ISU interior design students and faculty flew to New York City for a senior field study to study the interior design profession such as manufacturers, design studios, showrooms and museums.

The objective of this trip was to expose students to the office environment and highlight issues/approaches to sustainable design in the office setting. Some highlights that occurred during the Sept. 18-21 trip included a memorable and moving experience observing the Memorial for 9/11, the Museum of Modern Art, also known as MOMA, where Picasso, Van Gogh and Monet’s art is displayed, Bank of America Tower — the second tallest building in NYC — and LEED-platinum certified, well-respected architectural firms and the Design Center.

“Having grown up in New Jersey, I am deeply moved whenever I visit lower Manhattan and think about what happened there,” said Amy Mikovec, senior lecturer of art and design. “As we walked the streets between the 9/11 memorial and Trinity Church, we talked about what it would have been like to have been there that morning. I am saddened by the loss so many people had to endure, but am also inspired by the courage and selflessness that so many others displayed that day, and in the years since.”

“I had the opportunity to hear the editor in chief of ‘Architectural Digest,’ Margaret Russell, introducing Special Projects Editor Mitchell Owens speaking on today’s top trends in art,” said Katie Ledin, senior in interior design. Ledin was one of the 55 students who attended.

“It was a great experience to explore New York City culture. I liked seeing the New Yorker’s way of life and their working style,” said Meghan Reichert, senior in interior design. “In comparison to Iowa firms, New York’s space plan within the office differed as office systems seemed more open.”

For the past 10 years, there has been an elective course that has gone to New York City. This was the first year that the entire interior design class has gone to N.Y.C.

“No major issues occurred on the trip; for the most part, it went according to plan,” Mikovec said. “We allowed students free time in the evenings and the morning of our last day, so that they could have some ‘ownership’ in the field trip.”

The only concern the group faced dealt with the size of the group. “Very few firms and offices were able to accommodate more than 20 students at a time,” Mikovec said. “Increased security kept us from going through lobby areas to look at or photograph the interiors.”

Pam Iasevoli, assistant professor in art and design, said, “Interior design is a major which relies heavily on visual information. While much can be accomplished in the classroom and studio, field trips provide students an opportunity to ‘experience’ space. We typically choose major metropolitan areas, which are rich in innovation as well as historic interiors.”

Students have gone to Minneapolis, Chicago, Las Vegas, Toronto, Canada, Miami and Seattle. Members in the Interior Design Student Association have had the opportunity to go to Kansas City, Omaha, Minneapolis and St. Louis. Field studies are made possible by the collaboration of the students and faculty.

Student fees are required. The faculty decides on a location based on the studio content and where might be the best location for students to gain insight into the design issues relative to that studio.