Board of Regents to meet tomorrow to discuss items pertinent to Iowa State

Daily News Service

The Iowa State Board of Regents will be meeting today in Des Moines at the West Des Moines Sheraton Hotel to discuss several items, many of which will directly affect ISU students and programs.

One item will be the potential repeal of the Grow Iowa Values Fund and eventual replacement with new business development programs.

GIVF was originally a $5 million program, but in response to the continued budget cuts, it has been reduced to $1.5 million. Accordingly, Iowa State has cut $424,000 from the infrastructure allocation and $7,459,000 to the original project allocation.

The program itself is designed to build and sustain projects that will lead to increased commercial activity to new and existing Iowa companies. There is also a need to identify and assist new projects that can contribute to Iowa’s economy. Fund cuts have removed the projects to improve existing companies and have left only ones for new companies.

They also plan to discuss the Iowa State Recreation fee deferral. The original recreation fee for the current academic year was $321.60. Because of the incompletion of the new State Gym recreation facility, however, the Regents will be considering refunding students $89.95 per semester of activity fees for full-time students.

The Regents will also be releasing information regarding the uniform crime statistics for the recent quarter.