FEMA relief available for 6 more days

By Abigail Barefoot [email protected]

Students had to evacuate the lower level of University Village due to heavy flooding in the area.

Daily Staff

As the Oct. 13 deadline for FEMA aid draws near, off-campus students are encouraged to apply for aid if they think they might be eligible.

Don Bolger, FEMA spokesperson, strongly advises flood-impacted students to consider applying for aid through the Individuals and Households Program if they haven’t done so already.

“If you feel you need some help, the only way to know if you’re eligible is to apply,” Bolger said. “Aid can apply to any number of things. If you lived in an apartment that was flooded and had to move, you might be eligible for aid to help you make your rent payments; or if you had to move things to storage due to flood damage at your home, you might be eligible for aid to cover those costs.”

Bolger encourages students to be proactive, because even if they don’t apply for FEMA aid, representatives from the disaster recovery center might be able to direct those in need to local services that are being offered for flood victims.

Students can either log on to disasterassistance.gov, call the FEMA phone line, 1.800.261.FEMA, or visit the local disaster relief center, located at 1615 Golden Aspen Drive suite 108, to apply for aid.