Fighting Burrito moves to Welch Avenue

Fighting Burrito is now open on Welch Avenue.

Micaela Cashman

Fighting Burrito opened its new home at 117 Welch Ave. last week.

The location previously housed a Dairy Queen and a smoothie and ice cream shop.

The restaurant opened at 2712 Lincoln Way in 2004 and was an instant success. That location is now closed and might hold a coffee shop or bakery next, said Fighting Burrito owner Matthew Goodman.

Goodman said he wanted to move to Welch Avenue to attract more customers. He said that at the previous location, most of his customers were older ISU students who lived off campus. His restaurant was the furthest Campustown location from Welch Avenue, and he conjectured that not many students wanted to walk all the way there for food.

He added that by moving to Welch Avenue, he could also appeal to local residents and professors.

“The closer we are to the district,” Goodman said, “the more business we’ll have. We do very well late-night, and the new location will support that.”

While late-night business was his specialty, he wants to increase business during regular lunch and dinner hours as well.

The location and the decor may have changed, but the food has not.

“We still offer the same satisfying burritos made from fresh, quality ingredients, but our location on Welch Avenue gives us higher visibility,” Goodman said. “Ames has been great to Fighting Burrito, and we are excited to make this reinvestment in the community.”

Fighting Burrito is open from 11 a.m. to 3 a.m. Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday; 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. on Tuesday; and 11 a.m. – 4 a.m. Friday and Saturday.

Learn more about the restaurant at its website.