Tech CYte’s iPads due to arrive soon

The University Book Store’s Tech CYte will make Apple’s new iPad available to students on Saturday or early next week. The price of the touch screen ranges from $499 to $849. Photo: Kelsey Kremer/Iowa State Daily

Kelsey Kremer

Abigail Barefoot —

This Saturday, Apple will launch its newest product, the iPad, to consumers.

The iPad is complete with a touch screen that allows consumers to have access to numerous applications including e-mail with an on-screen keyboard, the ability to read iBooks, access to calendars, maps and more. The iPad weighs 1.5 pounds and is one-half inch thick, which allows the consumer to take it anywhere.

Tech CYte in the University Book Store expects its shipment of iPads to come in either on launch day or early next week. The exact date is unsure because Apple has not released any tracking info on the iPad to Tech CYte.

Tech CYte put in an order of 100 iPads. Originally the order was going to be smaller, but after many students called in asking about the product, Tech CYte increased the order.

Jerry Balmer, who works at Tech CYte, was a bit skeptical over the new product and wasn’t sure how students would respond to the iPad.

“First I wasn’t sure, but there is a lot of hype surrounding it. I think that demanded for the product will grow, maybe not right away,” Balmer said.

The iPad appeals to students because of its multimedia features. Applications such as video, photos and e-mail are some of the common features associated with the iPad.

The iPad also has a built-in backlit IPS display — in plane switching — which will allow a wide 178-degree viewing angle that you can hold in any direction and still get a crisp, clear picture. The screen is 9.7 inches with a high resolution, making it stand out compared to other video electronics.

“It’s a good medium between the iPod touch and the notebook [computer],” Balmer said.

The idea of the iPad seems to appeal to students based on the increasing questions over the product, but the Book Store will have to wait and find out if the iPad will be a big seller.

At the University Book Store, the iPad will range from $499-849 depending on the style of the iPad.