‘Tour the World’ offers small glimpse of opportunities abroad for engineers

Students attend the Tour the World engineering fair in the atrium of Howe Hall. The fair is only held once a year with close to 700 students attending. Photo: Tim Reuter/Iowa State Daily

Tim Reuter

Students attend the “Tour the World” engineering fair in the atrium of Howe Hall. The fair is only held once a year with close to 700 students attending. Photo: Tim Reuter/Iowa State Daily

Heidi Ebert –

More than 600 engineering students caught a glimpse of international opportunities Tuesday at “Tour the World,” the Engineering Study & Work Abroad Fair.

The fair featured 22 countries and more than 30 programs, said Shannon Miner, coordinator of the College of Engineering international programs and services. The program offers volunteer, work or study on every continent except Antarctica.

“We live in a global environment,” Miner said.

It is important for students to learn to function in an international atmosphere, she said.

Students helped plan and run the fair as well as participate in the experience.

Justine Bormann, senior in aerospace engineering, who traveled to the Netherlands during her study abroad experience, was student co-chair of the event along with Erica Velasco, senior in civil engineering.

Academic Advisors and employees from the financial aid department attended the fair to help students with any additional questions they had. The booths representing countries at the fair were not only staffed with program coordinators, but also with ISU students who had been in the program or international students from the country.

“Academics are the most important part of study abroad programs, but we also have students participate in other activities while abroad such as joining a sports team or band,” Miner said. Service projects and humanitarian work are also possibilities for students wishing to go abroad.

Rachel Goldsmith, the president of the student organization Society of International Engineers and a graduate assistant in civil, construction and environmental engineering, also helped with the fair.

Goldsmith said she climbed mountains, went to the beach and enjoyed traveling as part of her study abroad experience.

Kaela Rasmussen, senior in aerospace engineering, said her favorite part of studying abroad at Brunel University in London was the availability of different museums. There were many replicas of great art like Michelangelo’s “David” and the museums were free, she said.

Brent Teske, senior in mechanical engineering, spent almost all of 2008 in Germany. He said he liked traveling and the opportunity to talk in German to people other students may not get the chance to talk to.

Although speaking the native language of the country the program is in may make things easier, it is not required for all the programs.

Yet, Teske said even though he could speak German the language barrier was his most challenging experience studying abroad.

Some of the programs have more of a humanitarian angle than what is traditionally considered an academic setting. The program Sustainable Engineering and International Development is the only program in Africa and it doesn’t take place in a classroom.

The program occurs in a rural village in Mali. A translator is provided for interaction between students and the villagers.

Students in this program participate in “small group projects whose aim is to improve the quality of life of the people of Nana Kenieba and the surrounding villages while providing the student with a hands on understanding of the fundamental concepts of appropriate technology,” according to the brochure for the program.

Engineering students considering studying abroad should visit the Engineering International Program’s Web site for more information.