Asian-American Heritage Week returns after three years

Sarvesh Anavkar, senior in industrial engineering, and Varinda Satija, junior in accounting, dance to the tunes of Bollywood Music in front of Parks Library on Monday. The dance was put on by the Indian Students Association in cooperation with the Asian-American Graduate Student Association and the Asian-Pacific Awareness Coalition in honor of Asian-American Heritage Week. Photo: Tim Reuter/Iowa State Daily

Tim Reuter

Kyle Ferguson —

For the first time in three years, Asian-American Heritage Week will be celebrated at Iowa State.

The opening ceremony for the celebration was held in front of the library on Monday.

“The reason for that was a general lack of organization and a bit of student apathy,” said Vijay Kanagala, graduate in educational leadership policy studies and co-adviser for the Asian Pacific American Awareness Coalition,  one of the student groups hosting the week. “But we’re looking to change that.”

The opening ceremony, held in front of the Hub grill, had relatively few student attendees but had some prominent university officials show up, such as Vice President for Student Affairs Tom Hill, Dean of the College of Human Sciences Pam White,  and vice president of the Government of the Student Body Chandra Peterson, junior in political science.

“This is a wonderful way to showcase the diversity present in Ames,” Hill said. “It’s an opportunity to celebrate the differences that come together to make a mosaic.”

The opening ceremony also featured a dance from the Indian Students’ Association to Bollywood music, and the Association of Malaysian Students at Iowa State  performing a lion dance.

“The dance signifies the good luck and prosperity of the land, and tries to spread it to the people,” said Senlong Yu, senior in chemical engineering and one of the performers.

Other events throughout the week include a panel discussion Tuesday night, a movie screening Wednesday, an Asian cultural night Thursday and an Asian arts night Friday.

“We wanted this to be very educational,” Kanagala said. “We also are trying to look at why students were not involved in the past.”

Gov. Chet Culver gave input to the celebration, recently proclaiming this week as one to be used for observing the heritage and culture of those with ties to Asia and the Pacific Islands. Culver did not attend the ceremony, but his proclamation was read.

“Asian Americans have long been called the invisible minority, but that’s no longer the case,” said Eugenio Matibag, director of Asian-American studies.  “Now, we are running for office, we are coming out. We already have Asians in office, like Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal.”

Asian-American Heritage Week:

Tuesday: Panel discussion — “Asian Americans: Coming Out, Hitting The Road, Running For Office”

7:30 p.m. Multicultural Center, Memorial Union

Wednesday: Movie screening — “First Person Plural”

7 p.m. 1210 LeBaron

Thursday: Asian Cultural Night — free food and performances

6 p.m. Great Hall, Memorial Union

Friday: Asian Arts Night — origami, calligraphy and henna hand painting

5:30 to 10 p.m. Gallery Room, Memorial Union