Candidate urges holistic approach

Ishwar Puri, finalist in the search for the next dean for the college of engineering shares his background, observations and intentions for Iowa State on Thursday in the Howe Hall auditorium. Puri is currently a professor and department head in engineering science and mechanics for Virginia Tech University in Blacksburg, Virginia. Photo: Valerie Allen/Iowa State Daily

unknown

Sarah Haas —

Under Ishwar Puri’s lead, the College of Engineering’s slogan might be “Transformative technologies through an inclusive College of Engineering.”

On Thursday, Puri, currently a professor and department head of engineering science and mechanics at Virginia Tech, was the last of four candidates to participate in an open forum to help determine the next dean of the College of Engineering.

“I would like to come here to build a nurturing and inclusive community that values excellence,” Puri said.

He outlined his personal academic journey and his vision for Iowa State’s engineering program. A more holistic approach that “transcends disciplines” to education is ideal for a global community.

“I want students to have strong fundamentals, but at the same time I would like them to have interdisciplinary exposure,” he said.

By increasing the reputations of the undergraduate and graduate programs and strengthening interdisciplinary research, Puri said he hopes to transform Iowa State from “major economic engine” for the Midwest to an “international hub of excellence.”

He listed several ways to complete these goals: grow the faculty size and support services, improve student retention and graduation, facilitate signature education themes that keeps curriculum current, improve the research infrastructure, strengthen interdisciplinary research in emerging fields and further international linkages.

In addition, he said he would keep in mind the three constituencies he represents — students, faculty and staff, and alumni.

Following his remarks, three staff members asked Puri questions. One of the questioners, Sara Harris, administration specialist in electrical and computer engineering, asked how he would accomplish his goals of increasing the number of faculty members and expanding research during a time of economic hardship.

He said although he has ambitious plans for his department, they must be rethought based on the situation.

“You can change your strategic plan, but you don’t lose sight of your vision,” he said. “I will not accept the fact that there will not be a better tomorrow… But what I will accept is that my strategic plan will be truncated.”

He said that the college’s goals probably would not be accomplished over the course of one dean, which typically lasts about five years. The college’s goals could be accomplished in two terms.

A diverse, interdisciplinary path led Puri to his current candidacy for the position. He grew up in India and attended college at the University of Delhi. He obtained his master’s and doctoral degrees in the United States, and later became an American citizen while working in Chicago. His interests include cancer, energy and nanotechnology.

His past experiences resonate with those of Iowa State. As a land grant institution, Iowa State aims to give access to all interested in furthering their educations, which he said is “completely in line” with his personal philosophy. He also said he appreciates Iowa State’s interest in creating a diverse campus, an ideal he hopes to make a hallmark of his tenure as dean.

“I often think that universities often miss the meaning of diversity — it’s about a diversity of ideas, not only fulfilling a social contract, but when we bring people with different cultural backgrounds, we also enable the diversity of opinion, the diversity of ideas,” Puri said.

Ishwar Puri

1982: Bachelor of science in mechanical engineering from the University of Delhi, India

1984: Master’s of engineering science (applied mechanics) from the University of California, San Diego.

1987: Doctoral degree of engineering science (applied mechanics) from the University of California, San Diego

1990-2004: Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Illinois at Chicago

2004-present: Department head of engineering science and mechanics and professor in the Virginia Tech – Wake Forest University School of Biomedical Engineering & Sciences; was director of graduate studies in mechanical and industrial engineering; associate dean for research and graduate studies in the College of Engineering; director of the Center for International Engineering Education and Research; and executive associate dean of engineering.

Puri is a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

—Information from ISU News Service

The three other candidates:

•Theodore Bergman, program director, Thermal Transport Processes Program, National Science Foundation; and professor of mechanical engineering, University of Connecticut, Storrs

•David Rosowsky, A.P. and Florence Wiley Chair Professor and department head, Zachry Department of Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station

•Jonathan Wickert, Larry and Pam Pithan Professor of Mechanical Engineering and chair of mechanical engineering, Iowa State University