Dance Marathon committee works hard for the kids

From left, Emily Swessinger, 8, and Emily Mahaney, sophomore in journalism and mass communication, score a direct hit on Alex Taggart, sophomore in hotel, restaurant and institution managment, submarine last year in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Swessinger and Mahaney eventually won the game of Battleship. File Photo: Josh Harrell/Iowa State Daily

unknown

Allison Clarke

For those in charge of the event, there is much more to being in Dance Marathon than just simply standing on your feet for 15 hours. A lot of planning and organizing goes into the largest student-run philanthropic event on campus. Behind the scenes, there are many dedicated to making this annual event the best it can be.

Along with the dancers, there are multiple committees that participate in organizing Dance Marathon. These include 80 committee members and an executive committee of about 20 members. The three people who oversee all of it are Heather Daniel, general co-director and senior in early childhood education, Clark Richardson, general co-director and senior in agricultural business, and Lindsey Loomer, public relations and communications director and a junior in advertising.

Daniel said that her job, along with Richardson’s, involves talking to numerous people about the event and the organization.

“We serve as the ‘face’ of Dance Marathon, informing as many people as possible about our organization,” Daniel said.

Daniel and Richardson’s responsibilities include corresponding with the community and others outside of Dance Marathon, as well as overseeing the executive committee.

Both started out as dancers and gradually moved their way up to their current positions. Despite the extensive time commitment their positions demand, Daniel and Richardson said they wouldn’t have it any other way.

Loomer’s job is no less time consuming. Not only is she in charge of all of the committees, but she also holds all of the dancer meetings and answers e-mails that are sent to committee members. When it comes to the actual event, she is in charge of registration and check-in.

After starting out as a dancer and then joining the recruitment and morale committee her sophomore year, Loomer said she still wanted to do more for Dance Marathon,

“I had to apply for executive committee because I wanted to get more involved. In the end, it’s more rewarding,” Loomer said.

All three strongly encourage anyone who is interested to join a committee. Richardson said, although the responsibility of being on a committee may be intimidating, in the end it’s all worth it.

“I think the more you put in to Dance Marathon, the more you get out of it,” Richardson said.

Students who want to join should also know that no position is too small, Loomer said.

“Everyone matters. Everyone has their part,” Loomer said.

Daniel said there is more than just the responsibility that goes hand in hand with being a part of a committee. She said there are also the amazing memories people take away from the experience.

“I love the entire day, but my two favorite parts include spending time with the families and watching the final slideshow,” Daniel said. “That’s really what Dance Marathon is all about, helping to make a difference in the lives of the children and their families.”

Richardson said he loves when students get involved to help raise money for children.

“My favorite part of Dance Marathon is seeing all of the ISU students who are willing to give up time out of their lives to help the kids. They have no connection to these families, but they are still willing to raise $200 and stand on their feet for 15 hours for the kids,” Richardson said.

The Event:

Dance Marathon

When: Saturday 9 to midnight

Where: Great Hall, Memorial Union